Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Peri menopause  (Read 1623 times)

Megbigh

Peri menopause
« on: April 29, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »

Hi all. I'm new and would appreciate your thoughts. Went to the dr convinced I had a UTI but turned out tested negative. She carried out an examination and did a smear. She said everything looked good and healthy and noting my age (52) suggested ovestin and mentioned atrophy. I came away confused and had to google to find out what this was all about which then led me to this forum. Must say I was horrified by all the posts of horrendous symptoms and range of medications mentioned. This is all news to me as I thought menopause was mood changes, hot flushes and night sweats. How bad could it be!  Should there not be a national campaign to advise women of the array of issues they could be facing? Anyway I am now 3/4 weeks into the ovestin cream and am still suffering to varying degrees the discomfort, burning, heat sensations which are very similar to cystitis. Some days are better than others but a bad day really gets you down and I can see why depression sets in.  I am hoping that I just need to give it a bit more time but should I be pressing my GP to do more for me if things don't improve or are we just supposed to suffer in silence?

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Peri menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:39:23 PM »

Hi Megbigh

Haven't got time now to go into details about your post, but wanted to welcome you.  :welcomemm:
And to bump your post up.
I'm sure someone will come on and advise you soon.

Hang on in there.

Jd xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 06:52:09 AM »

Hi Megbigh and welcome.

It can take a while to get on top of the symptoms. I recommend Jane Lewis's book 'Me and my Menopausal Vagina' available from Amazon, which will tell you all you need to know. Jane (who is Maryjane on here) also admins a private Facebook group for VA which is worth joining. She does a lot to raise awareness of a condition which is generally swept under the carpet.

How often are you using the Ovestin? As well as inserting the dose you can also apply some to the labia, which helps many.

JP x

Mogster71

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »

Hi Megbigh

Welcome to the group and you are so right! I had never even heard of the perimenopause until about 4 years ago when I had to strap myself in for this particular bumpy old ride!! Like you, I just assumed hot, sweaty, grumpy, periods stop, the end but oh, how wrong I was.  :-\

Sorry to hear you're having problems but how lovely that you have a considerate GP  - believe me, there are lots of ladies who have a battle with their GP to get treatment so to have someone proactive is a YUGE bonus. Lots of resources available and the ladies here will educate you so you have the knowledge to go and ask for what you need or want to try.

I hope the Ovestin starts to work for you soon xx

Megbigh

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:43 AM »

Thank you for responses ladies.  Going to read the book having read the reviews on Amazon.  Been on the ovestin over a month now and doing twice a week as instructed.  Think it is helping with  the discomfort and burning although varies from day to day. I still find myself wearing loose clothing and I can't bear some of my jeans.  Will try the Ovestin on my bits as suggested.
Past week though getting a strange feeling like a sugar low, slight headache, wobbly unstable feeling a bit like when you get off a long flights or a cruise, lack of energy. Tried eating more regularly but doesn't seem to make any difference. Not sure if this is a result of the Ovestin or just another menopause symptom. Guessing I will need to be patient and see how things pan out.
Thanks again.
M

Mogster71

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »

hi Megbigh

I'm with you on the unstable feeling, like you're a bit weak and wafty. I'd say this is a hormonal thing for sure. x

Lulu_garden

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 04:44:30 AM »

I never got any help so consider yourself lucky lol. Im new with this too. But i have learned that sugar is s contributing factor to this peri thing.

Mumatron

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 09:47:04 PM »

Hi all, I'm new here too, just like to say that I've been on HRT for 5weeks now and have seen a slight improvement in symptoms. I also use Estriol cream for dryness which helps but I also get intermittent burning, soreness and over active bladder. I also get days when my head's light and feel shaky and anxious, guts drop like I'm going over a hump back bridge. I had this before hrt so know it's not that.I think it's hormone dips. Horrible sensation...  Usually followed by flush. Maybe I need higher dose. Will see how it goes. I'm 57 and had hysterectomy 20 years ago, been menopausal for 6 years+.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »

Hi girls - Lulu and Mumatron  :welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.  Read the threads on vaginal atrophy which can take a while to sort, keep up with the nightly usage until symptoms settle as well as taking 'nurofen' which eases the 'need to pee' feelings. 

Eating regularly helps stop those awful energy dips.  They made me feel sick, dizzy, anxious ........ until I was advised to eat every 3 hours, 24/7. 

Gracie7

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »

Hi, I'm new too and am not on any menopause medication yet. But I agree with symptoms- like cystitis and I tend to pee a lot in the morning. Also the wishy washy feeling and nausea, headaches. Plus I've been ridiculously tired lately. GP putting it all down to anxiety - which itself is a menopause symptom! I hope we get the help we desperately need
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:40:26 PM by Gracie7 »