Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Coming off hrt  (Read 1250 times)

clio

Coming off hrt
« on: March 30, 2020, 06:37:43 PM »

Do you have to come off hrt slowly or can I stop taking after I've finished this month? X

clio

Re: Coming off hrt
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »

Can I cut estrodot 50g patch in half and take just one utrogestan for 3months then stop taking altogether. There is a reason for all this but won't bore you with details.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »

The devil is in the detail though clio....!

You can stop HRT abruptly if you want to but if you have been taking it for some time then it is best to taper off it. The outcome will most likely be the same ( according to research ie if you're going to get a return of flushes they will come back whether you stop it suddenly or gradually) but if you come off it gradually your symptoms will also retunr more gradually if they are going to and it won't be such a shock to the system.

I don't know what you mean by the utrogestan dose "one utrogestan for 3 months". Yes you can cut the Estradot in half but it depends what dose of Utrogestan you are taking now and what you have been prescribed as to what you will need if you cut down the oestrogen. You can't carry on taking the oestrogen in the patch without any progesterone at all for an appreciable period of time, as you risk getting a thickened womb lining and endometrial hyperplasia.

Hope you are otherwise well...

Hurdity x

clio

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 02:23:25 PM »

Hurdity thanks for your reply,  I'm currently on 50 estrodot and 200mg utrogestan and the utrogestan is not suiting me. Can I cut the patch in half and take just 100mg of utrogestan? for several months then come off altogether?

pamb

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:50 PM »

I came off HRT abruptly after taking it for a year and the night sweats hit me with a vengeance so I think tapering it is a good idea.

pamb x

clio

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 02:48:14 PM »

Pamb thanks for sharing your experience, I've been on everol sequi for over 10 years but last year it became unavailable and I still can't get it so I'm on the one I posted above.  I'm almost 53 and started on hrt at 39. I'm struggling with this new hrt so thought maybe it's time i tried to come off it. I'm just not sure how to reduce it! I'm only  guessing of cutting patch in half and halving the tablets!!!🤔

clio

How to wean off hrt
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »

I'm currently on estrodot 50 and take 200mg of utrogestan last two weeks of the month. I'm wanting to come of this so how do I wean myself off.? Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

----------
Edit by admin:
Duplicate posts topics merged.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 12:11:44 PM by Emma »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How to wean off hrt
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »

Morning.  Am I allowed to ask why you want to wean off?

Emma

• Administrator
Re: How to wean off hrt
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 12:06:37 PM »

clio

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »

CLKD..... I can't get everol sequi still and the only one I can get is the one I've mentioned and it's knocking ten bells out of me. I've been on the everol sequi for over 10 years and I'm coming upto 53 so thought if I cant get my usual brand maybe it's time i came off it and c what hapoens. Maybe my symptoms have gone! I loved the everol sequi it suited me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »

Let us know how you get on?  Do U keep a diary?

clio

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »

I haven't kept a diary but have read my usual brand is available from May just gone but I've phoned several chemist's but they can't get hold of them. I just don't know what to do!

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 07:48:18 AM »

Hurdity thanks for your reply,  I'm currently on 50 estrodot and 200mg utrogestan and the utrogestan is not suiting me. Can I cut the patch in half and take just 100mg of utrogestan? for several months then come off altogether?

As the amount of progesterone required to protect the uterus is dose dependent then strictly speaking if you halve the patch you will need less progesterone although reducing to 100 mg would be off licence. Using it vaginally at this dose would be better.

CLKD..... I can't get everol sequi still and the only one I can get is the one I've mentioned and it's knocking ten bells out of me. I've been on the everol sequi for over 10 years and I'm coming upto 53 so thought if I cant get my usual brand maybe it's time i came off it and c what hapoens. Maybe my symptoms have gone! I loved the everol sequi it suited me.

Have you thought of trying the oestrogren patches with a different progestogen such as tablet Provera, if the utrogestan is not suiting you. The progestogens are listed here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Another alternative is to ask for norethisterone as this is the progestogen in Evorel sequi and if it suted you then that's a good sign. However it is not on the list of progestogens available separately as part of HRT. This is actually absurd because it is available as part of combi HRT if you look at the list here https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php you will see the brands containing it. What's more it is possible to obtain it separately as it is used for heavy periods and some doctors do prescribe it for HRT such as Chelsea and Westminster: https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/services/womens-health-services/gynaecology-services/menopause-and-pms-clinics/links/ProgestogenandProgesteroneRegimensinHRT130518AGREED.pdf

Maybe you can rethink whether you still want to come off, as you are so young still? I didn't start HRT until I was almost 54 and still on it 13 years later.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

clio

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »

Thankyou for reply, I've just seen someone has got some ES so fingers crossed I can get some soon, I'm happy to stay on that but not what I've been put on. If meno is not bad enough without being unable to get hrt that we know suits us.  😔