Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT and periods  (Read 723 times)

HannahBow

• First Flush
HRT and periods
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:08:00 PM »

Hi, this is my first time posting, so hope I do it right and get some answers!! I will tell my story as it leads to the questions I have. I started getting hot flushes about 4 years ago and was referred to the Meno clinic at the local hospital. I was still having periods most months, although sometimes they were quite light. I was put on Evorel Sequi patches, which worked like a dream. For the last 6 months of being on them, however, my flushes started returning, albeit not as severely, which I recognise is probably my natural depletion of hormones over time. Because of the national shortage of the patches, I had to struggle without anything for about 6 weeks, hoping they would come back in stock. I didn't want to try anything else as I used to have a lot of side effects with the oral contraceptive pills, so I wanted to stick with the patches (no pun intended!). During the time without them, the flushes and night sweats returned with a vengeance! During that time though, I didn't have a period, although I had period pain. I messaged the GP to ask for an alternative when I gave up hope, and I was put on Evorel 50 for the oestrogen, and Utrogestan vaginal pessaries, 200mg to be used for 12 days. I am now experiencing an extremely heavy period. So, the questions I have are: If I didn't have a period for the time I wasn't on the HRT, does that mean my natural periods may have stopped or be stopping? In other words, are the periods that are produced whilst on HRT actual periods caused by ovulation, or are they brought on by the extra hormones? If this is the case, how can I tell if my body is actually nearing, or at, menopause?  If I am at menopause, is it safe to have the progresterone HRT? Also, because I am so worried about the hot flushes coming back, I am leaving a few of the patches on instead of putting one on, taking one off. Does anyone know if this will keep the oestrogen hormone level up a bit higher, or am I making my backside very sticky and full of patches for no real benefit?  ;D Any answers would be much appreciated! Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and periods
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »

:welcomemm:  maybe put the product name into the search box on the forum and see what pops up?  Make notes ;-)

Someone will be along with more info. I'm sure.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:07:33 PM »

I tried keeping the old patch on to increase the dose. It didn't work for me.
As your flushes returned I think you need a higher dose of oestrogen. It's usually the progesterone that causes problems not the oestrogen so no reason to think a different form of oestrogen won't be OK. If you're OK with Utrogestan you could ask for a higher dose oestrogen patch, I think evorel do a 75? You can't tell where you're up to in meno without coming off hrt for several months. As you had period pains most likely you're still peri.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:33:06 AM »

Hi HannahBow

:welcomemm:

To answer the rest of your questions, if you are peri-menopausal when you start HRT, then you don't know whether the bleeding you have while taking HRT is due to ovulation or the withdrawal bleed from the HRT. You probably won't be able to tell when you are at menopause. Most women don't once starting hRT. I am one of them. I started HRT very late peri-menopause but when the transition actually happened who knows? I might have even been menopausal when I started but had only gone 5 months since previous period, though several months since the one before that.

I agree with sheila not to leave loads of patches on. I mean they probably will still be giving out hormones but one way round is to change a bit more often eg every 3 days and then as sheila suggested go for a higher dose if you can get them.

Not sure what you mean about the progesterone. You have to have this whatever stage of menopause you are at because it is needed to prevent over-stimulation of the womb lining by oestrogen which can lead to cancer.
Hope this help and do ask more questions if anything is unclear! :)

Hurdity x

HannahBow

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:38:57 PM »

Thank you both for your answers. It has made things clearer. I will ask whether I can have Evorel 75 instead of 50.  The only other issue I have is the side effects of the Utrogestan are getting really bad  :(  Last month I had an on/off headache for about 10 days and mild nausea. I hoped my body would get acclimatised, but this month it's worse. I have severe headaches and feel sick and dizzy. Do you think I should ask to reduce the Utrogestan down to 100mg, as I have read on other threads that less is needed if taken vaginally? Many thanks again for your help.  :)