Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and Sandrena - side effect, feeling exhausted all the time  (Read 4256 times)

Jilly62

• First Flush

I have been taking Utrogestan and Sandrena gel, both daily for about 10 weeks.  Within two weeks of starting, I have felt completely exhausted all the time.  I'm sleeping so much better, but wake up feeling tired, and the feeling lasts all day.  I've had blood tests for just about everything including Covid, but all came back negative, so can only think it must be one or both of the HRT treatments.  Utrogestan does make you drowsy, but I thought that would only be over night.  Has anyone experienced this side effect?  Any idea what would happen if I take Utrogstan once every two days instead of every day?  thanks!

sheila99

Yes, utrogeston has this effect on me. I'm still peri so take it sequentially anyway, I usually last til about day 8 before I'm zapped. I'd suggest taking it cyclically for 2-3 months so can be sure it's the utrogeston that's responsible (200mg for 12 days). If it is then either try something else or perhaps a long cycle so you have more good days. I didn't get this side effect with the type used in evorel conti patches so you may find you're OK with something else. I had to change as I had an allergic reaction to the glue

CherrySG

Hi, I had this effect too. Sleep 10 hours a night (great) but then all afternoon also (not so great).  :(

Could you try a different progesterone? I changed to Provera, which doesn't cause sedation.

Jilly62

• First Flush

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a bit nervous about doubling the dose - wouldn't that make me feel twice as tired??  I've got a phone call with the doc on Monday so will ask about Provera as an alternative.  Fingers crossed!!

sheila99

You'd only take it for 12 days a month. The rest of the month is oestrogen only so you can tell if you feel different. I've never been on 100mg so have nothing to compare it to.

Sooze

I'm taking Sandrena 1mg and Utrogestan vaginally 100mg on alternate nights (plus testosterone, petit pois size blob daily) and this is working very well for me.  Couple if caveats though.  You'd have to be post meno for this regime, I have the support of my gynaecologist, and I get regular scans to check my endometrium is all OK.  I've been on this regime for almost 18m with no change in the thickness of my endo (checked 2m ago).

If you do change to this expect some spotting for up to 6m.  Mine stopped around 5m, and was never much.

I get none of the tiredness you report but I think the testosterone helps too.

HTH,
S

Jilly62

• First Flush

So, Sooze, can I take the same pill I take orally  and use it vaginally??  I'll give it a try.  I didn't take it at all last night, just the Sandrena 1mg and already feel so much better.  Btw, I'm 58, so well beyond the menopause, only just joining up the dots as to why I've been feeling so crap for so long!

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice and experience.  :)

Sooze

Yes it's exactly the same pill.  Just push it up as far as you can, and if possible aim for behind your cervix as some women find it irritates the bladder a bit, but I've never had that problem.  I wear pants & a pant liner on the nights I use it as it can ?escape? a bit overnight sometimes.
HTH,
S

Jilly62

• First Flush

Thanks Sooze, I'll try that - really useful to know!

yoga.girl47

Hello Jilly62

Im new so still figuring out the site etc.

Im also on Sandrena 1mg and Utrogestan but for days 1-25.

Feeling tired most days, unmotivated and moods up and down.

I know most take the Utrogestan for 12 days but was advised to take it 1-25. Im also thinking the doc will tell me to try 200mg for the 12 days.

Also hoping this will improve.

X

Sooze

Re: Utrogestan and Sandrena - side effect, feeling exhausted all the time
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 05:23:37 PM »

Yoga.girl47,
The Utrogestan for days 1-25 is for those who are post meno.  Most GP's will say just take it every day as it's a bit of a faf to keep track of the days, and a bleed is not expected.

The shorter period, higher dose regime is usually for those who a peri, or those who are post meno and don't tolerate it continuously. However, you are almost guaranteed a bleed on this regime - Hurdity is a bit of an expert on this, and hopefully will chip in if I'm wrong.
HTH,
S

yoga.girl47

Re: Utrogestan and Sandrena - side effect, feeling exhausted all the time
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 07:11:52 PM »

Hello

I double checked the the gp and pharmacist so am assured as they are experts that its ok to take 1-25.
However I do have a gp appt weds so will see what she says about adjusting to suit my needs x