Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Enough with the crying!  (Read 1267 times)

Leesh

Enough with the crying!
« on: June 18, 2020, 03:21:36 PM »

Hi ladies

I'm coping fairly well with this meno lark and all that goes with it - doing stupid things and being forgetful has become the norm for me. What I can't cope with is the damned crying! Not depressed crying, or even feeling down crying, just crying over the slightest thing. It's getting beyond a joke!

It could be an advert, something on the news, a memory, a video of a rescued dog, a motivational speaker in youtube...seriously, I literally cry over every. single. thing! There's little point in wearing makeup these days as it ends up down my cheeks. My kids think it's hilarious. The stupid thing is I'm happy!

I'm not on any meds or HRT - I don't want antidepressants as it took me years to come off citalopram with horrendous withdrawal symptoms, so any suggestions? Obviously it's difficult with trying to get a GP appt at the moment so I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom of you lovely ladies :)

GetStuffedPeri

Re: Enough with the crying!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »

It's so refreshing to read "the stupid thing is I'm happy" at this time of life!  What stage are you at?  peri/meno/still having periods? 

As for the crying - just embrace it and make a note of all the "silly" things you cry at - it makes for hilarious reading back through!!

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »

Hello ladies.

My tearfulness has become a lot more intense since coming off HRT. It usually bubbles up along with a pang of anxiety and a mild hot flush. I am not particularly sad about anything but I suddenly find myself pulling an 'ugly cry face'.

I watched a story on the news the other day and I cried because it was so sad and  the tears felt different from the meno ones. It was as if they were coming from a different place. Most odd.

Take care everyone.

K.

Leesh

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »

Jaypo, that's a very good point, with so much sadness in the world it can be easy to become immersed in it. So it'll be Bridget Jones and Sex and the City and Friends for me then!

Talking of TV, has anyone watched This is Us? I am a wreck watching that, but it's just so good.

GetStuffedperi (love the name), I am at the 'woohoo no periods for 6 months, this is it folks, oh bugger, false alarm' stage, so only 2 or 3 periods a year. I'm 51, with hot flushes, night sweats, and all the other joyful stuff. But I can handle all of that, just not the crying. I am truly happy, but that is because life hasn't been easy for me or my kids (DV, homelessness etc) so I've learned to really appreciate what I have and not stress about the other stuff. We're in a good place now, a lovely home, the kids are settled, my daughter is happily married with 3 kids, my son is with his long term girlfriend, and my youngest daughter is about to start college, plus I have built up a successful business over the past few years, so lots to be grateful for. You're right though, it does make for hilarious reading, and the kids are highly amused by it.

Indigo, I like the idea that tears are flushing the toxins out - I'm sorry you felt miserable though, that's not a nice way to feel.

Kathleen, mine comes without warning. Even the merest hint of anything sad and I'm off! How long have you been off HRT? I did wonder if it was worth going on it just for the tearfulness, as mood-wise and health-wise I'm fine, sleeping is ok (apart from waking up drenched) and tweezers take care of the chin hairs! But I'm on the fence, I much prefer natural remedies, but thgere are so many conflicting stories about them.

Hope you all have a good day :)

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 02:58:44 PM »

Hello again Leesh.

I am 63 and ten years post meno. I managed without HRT for three years but I had horrible anxious/jittery feelings for most of the  day, every day. so I tried various HRT regimes. Unfortunately I never did get it exactly right so I stopped entirely almost a year ago.

I always had some tearfulness with the menopause but the last 6 months or so it has been more intense and troublesome. I was talking to my son on the phone earlier today and all was okay but the minute I put the phone down my mood dipped and I wanted to cry.  I have spoken to other meno women who describe inexplicable sobbing and I've had that too. A male friend suggested that it is necessary as an emotional release which makes sense and may tie in with the toxins explanation.

I am not taking anything for the menopause at the moment but I may do so at some point. Time will tell I suppose.

Wishing you well.

K.

Leesh

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 08:32:59 AM »

Kathleen, I get that totally. I'll be quite happily doing my own thing and my son (who still lives at home) will pop his head around the door to let me know he's going out, and all is fine, but then the door will close and I'll fill up with tears...he'll only be going to the shop or to see his mates! He and his girlfriend are looking at finding their own place in September and I dread to think what I'll be like then!

Jaypo...can't beat a bit of SATC!  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 11:29:58 AM »

I can't cry  :-\ due to medication.  However, if I need to cleanse my Soul I put on the ending of the original film "Incredible Journey" when Bodger comes over the hill ....... does it for me without fail.

If Nature didn't want us to cry She wouldn't have given us feelings ;-). Keep man-sized 'Kleenex' to hand ?

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Leesh - I think there is a kernel of emotion when I want to cry but sometimes it comes out of nowhere and for no reason that I can see. I've started to wonder if it's an automatic thing as in  sometimes  you need to sneeze or cough  but now you need to cry.  As I've said before the crying from sadness feels different to this explosion of tension. Most odd and whatever is causing it I wish it would stop because thinking you are going to cry while looking at the yoghurts  in Sainsbury's is really peculiar.

Take care everyone.

K.

KarineT

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 07:22:24 AM »

Hi Kathleen,

You're 63, 10 years post meno and you're still have crying episodes? If they are menopause-related I would have thought that they would have gone by now and you would feel better.  I do hope that mine will go away once I'm post meno because I find that feeling low and anxious is the most difficult thing to manage.  These shouldn't linger for  so long.  I was under the impression that the majority of women feel much better once they've reached the menopause but maybe I'm wrong.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 07:14:21 AM »

Certainly crying jags shouldn't be linked to menopause all the while. 

I shed a few tears at the end of a book this week, so unlike me but the ending caught me unawares.  I rarely react at the time to sad events, they can be up to 6 months B4 the tears arrive.