Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Menopause stays with you for the rest of your life  (Read 1770 times)

KarineT

Menopause stays with you for the rest of your life
« on: May 25, 2020, 07:27:39 PM »

This is the article I've found on the Internet.  I don't agree with it at all.  The menopause might be permanent but its symptoms are not.  If that was the case postmenopausal women would never feel good again.  This article is nonsense.  What do you think?

Myth: When menopause is done, you?ll feel much better
Fact: Oh, how we wish this were true. But the truth is, once you?re in menopause it doesn't end.

?You stay in it for the rest of your life, feeling the same bad symptoms,? says Hall. And when you use bioidentical hormones to replace your menopausal hormonal deficiencies, Hall says you?re actually taken out of menopause, and the symptoms diminish or completely disappear. ?Women tell me every day that they feel more healthy, vital and sexy with their hormones replaced than at any other time in their lives,? she adds.

KarineT

Re: Menopause stays with you for the rest of your life
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 07:30:32 PM »

I forgot to add that this might scare someone like me going through the menopause and many others, so much so that we might decide to go on HRT for the rest of our lives.  HRT should not be a lifelong process.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 08:39:19 PM »

It depends on the woman.  I went through meno with no problems until VA hit but other than the nether regions needing a whole bunch of Vagifem, most days are pretty normal.  Most ladies I know are NOT on HRT and are doing fine.  For those who need it, then bring it on.  I enjoy menopause.  No belts, no pins, no strings attached.  No messiness and no need to worry about getting a period when you have a wonderful vaca planned.  Obviously there are ladies who have severe symtoms and those should be addressed with proper treatment QOL but there are many ladies enjoying their Golden years.

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »

Exactly!  I know a few ladies who are now postmenopausal, they have never been on HRT and they are absolutely fine.  I now realise that this comment was made by someone who wants to make money by selling expensive BHRT. Traditional HRT is not mentioned because it's available on the NHS. This emphasises the fact that these people are out there to make money.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 07:54:21 AM »

So hands up now, all the thousands of women who "feel more healthy, vital and sexy with their hormones replaced than at any other time in their lives".
You might get back to normal but suggesting you'll feel better is absolute hogwash.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:10:19 AM »

menopause doesn't end .......... once periods stop, that is the menopause

Symptoms however ........... peri is when the hormone upheavals and alterations begin which can last several years without association with The Change.  I had dreadful clotty, painful periods which The Pill stopped.  Then I had PMT ........... once my periods had gone, apart from vaginal atrophy  :-X  ::)

Some need HRT to ease symptoms.  For short times or for Life.

Who published this article?  If 1 is quoting 1 needs to direct readers to the authors etc..

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:00:20 AM »

Hello ladies.

I think the question is will all problems disappear when we are post meno or will we always have symptoms due to permanently low hormones?

I have two friends who are post meno and don't take HRT and they are both bothered by insomnia. They just put up with it but would even a small amount of HRT actually make a big difference and improve their quality of life?

I am post meno,  HRT free and still  having symptoms. I would struggle on if I knew it would all settle soon naturally but if it doesn't am I  just prolonging a suffering that will never really end without going back on HRT?

Wishing everyone well.

K.

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »

Our bodies decline naturally through ageing whether we are a man or a woman.  Menopause is natural and part of the ageing process so once it has settled the symptoms should not be a life sentence.

Eviepf

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »

I can't see a link to the article you mentioned - could you direct me?

Thanks.

KarineT

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »

Below is the link for the full article about the menopause.

https://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/1141661/menopause-myths

Emm225

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 10:33:23 AM »

I certainly hope it DOESN'T..don't want hot sweats when I come off HRT.  Mind you a friend of mine still has them in her 60s but I don't think has ever had HRT altho tried every natural cure under the sun..none worked for her.  Mind you...she does drink a lot of red wine...which probably doesn't help!

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »

Hello again ladies.

KarineT - Thanks for the link and I will read the article when I have time. I agree with you that menopausal symptoms should not be a life sentence. However they may be for some women.  Saying something should happen doesn't guarantee that it will.

A forum member recently posted that she is post meno and has just tried HRT for the first time. She says that all the symptoms she has been living with for ten years have now gone. Perhaps those same symptoms would have resolved eventually but would they and if so when? Ten years is a long time to feel rubbish believe me.

I will continue to be HRT free a little longer and hope my hormones will settle soon but it is hard to be optimistic when you are having yet another bad day.

Take care.

K.

KarineT

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 10:58:09 AM »

Hi Kathleen,

I know what you mean.

My main worry is the emotional aspect of this because I feel low, anxious and lethargic nearly every day and sometimes I feel empty.  Like all the enthusiasm has gone and I'm not the same person anymore.  Does it sound familiar? The physical symptoms I get are dizziness, feeling hot from time to time, especially at night, aches and pains here and there, chilling sensations, pins and needles, burning skin and nausea.  I just hope that when I'm postmeno, I will feel better mentally.

Karine

Emm225

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »

Karine T , I put up with what you are saying for the past 4 years or so, I felt rubbish .  I am fit, healthy, have a nice job and loving family and nice life, ...but I felt flat a lot of the time, like I would never enjoy things properly again, and very anxious , catastophied a lot and so sad I would cry at songs/news/ or nothing at all.  I had my mirena coil taken out at xmas for unexplained bleeding and it wasn't replaced.  By the end of January I had such bad sweats at least once an hour for 24 hours a day.  At work was horrid and at night even worse as they woke me up.  Eventually after much research and heart searching I went to the doctor who prescribed HRT.  I was so against it and so worried about it I still didn't take it but by March, just about lock down time, I was so beside myself I started to to take it.  I cannot tell you how much better I feel, and if it causes any health issues, so be it.  I would rather be more like my old self for a few years than live like I was.  It's not ideal and isn't for everyone and I still need it tweaking as have gained weight a bit (but it has been lockdown I guess...working from home although trying to exercise a lot) but the sweats are no more and my mood is a LOT better and I am not so sickeningly life affectingly nervous and anxious all the time.

Joaniepat

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »

Below is the link for the full article about the menopause.

https://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/1141661/menopause-myths
Thanks for posting the link. The author of this article, Sara Lindberg, is a journalist with a degree in exercise science. She may have opinions, which is fine, but this is only an opinion piece and hardly to be regarded as a serious source of information. I'm sure most of us would recognize this type of thing for what it is and have enough savvy to know that she is totally unqualified in this area and just trying to turn an honest bob.

JP x
Pages: [1] 2