Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Changing HRT, how long should you persevere?  (Read 832 times)

Sadiec007

Changing HRT, how long should you persevere?
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »

Hi,
Like lots of us I have had to change hrt due to unavailability.
I'm not finding any glimmer of light in it all.
Suffering awful side effects and unable to function.
I am trying to wait it out but how long do you do this, I don't want to keep changing but I don't know if it's not right for me.
I was on Evorel Conti 50 patches before I changed about 3 weeks ago.
I have started on one pump of estrogel as advised, now on 2 pumps.
Was on provera 5mg and changed to Utrogestan 100mg but have now went back to provera last night as I couldn't tolerate the Utrogestan any longer.
How do I know if it's ever going to get better, if I'm on the right dosage  and how long do I wait to see if the side effects ease off?
I try to be objective and take note of how I feel with various doses but it all just seems the same of late.
Are other people struggling with side effects? It get to the point where you don't know what to do anymore.

Katia

Re: Changing HRT, how long should you persevere?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »

I don't wait long. I tend to know within a week whether it's agreeing with me or not,   but some people seem to settle down after a while. Utrogestan didn't agree with me after about four days I would be foggy eyed and like a zombie. Provera gave me hair loss and cyclic acne. it's so difficult to find a progesterone.  I found one eventually that worked for me, but I even went back on the pill for a while. I knew progesterone wasn't a problem, because I was fine with the bill, it was just finding the right one.  MaryG has posted a lot on progesterone intolerance.

Kathleen

Re: Changing HRT, how long should you persevere?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »

Hello Sadiec007 and welcome to the forum.

You have my sympathy as many of us struggle to work out what is going on.  I tried various forms of HRT and was told to give each regime three to six months so you may want to consider doing the same. 

I'm sure other ladies will be along soon to offer their advice and guidance.

Wishing you well.

K.