Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice after TVU Scan Please  (Read 791 times)

Cass101

Advice after TVU Scan Please
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:53:35 PM »

Hi All, I just wondered if any of you ladies could advise/reassure me at all. I'm 59 years old & a week ago today went for a transvaginal ultrasound scan following a "post meno bleed". They said that everything looked fine & normal, but just as a routine measure they would take an endometrial sample. Additionally, we agreed that they would remove the Mirena coil. This was my 3rd coil & I was also taking oestrogen pills which I've now stopped due to coil removal. I found the procedure quite painful & they did warn me that I could bleed for a few days. I did bleed for a day or two & then it got less & turned brown. It has gradually reduced I think, but I'm still getting a little each day. I've also got a slight cramp in my right side, but not too bad. Everywhere I Google it says possible bleeding/spotting/cramping for "a few days" or a couple of days, so I'm not sure if this should have stopped completely by now as it's been a week, albeit getting less. Any advice or reassurance would be really welcome! Thank you!  :)

Hurdity

Re: Advice after TVU Scan Please
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:22:27 AM »

Hi cass101

Sorry to hear about your ongoing bleeding. If you have been told this is normal then try not to worry. Taking a biopsy is relatively invasive, so it's only to be expected. However if you are concerned at all that it doesn't stop then do contact your doctor.

How long had the Mirena coil been in place?  Also does this mean you have now stopped HRT completely for good as a result and is this what you wanted to do?

Hurdity x

Cass101

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:04:43 AM »

Hi Hurdity

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! This particular Mirena had been in place for nearly a year, but I had 2 prior to this. They were originally for heavy periods, and they sorted that problem out. A few years ago I started getting hot flushes & the oestrogen pills were added in, which also did the trick! I don't actually know where I am in terms of menopause really to be honest!

About a year ago I had what was regarded as a post meno bleed & was sent for a scan, which was fine. At that point they suggested another Mirena as the one I had would have run out, so that's what they did. Lo & behold almost a year later the exact same thing happened, hence another scan, which again they said looks perfectly normal. On both occasions I'd had my old typical PMT symptoms, so presumed I still had a few hormones kicking about! The consultant said that whilst the Mirena had proved a success for me, it could also trigger a bleed.

I don't have any HRT at all now, as the Mirena is gone & I can't take the Oestrogen without that. The consultant said to see how I get on & if any problems go to GP & get some other form of HRT. I'm slightly anxious as to what might be in store next....!! So far I'm ok, just driving myself mad as I seem to be the only person who doesn't stop spotting within 2 or 3 days!! I would also add that I've had a really stressful couple of years, so don't know if that could also be a factor?

Sorry for such a long winded reply Hurdity! Thank you for listening, I'm really grateful! Xx

Sparkler

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »

Hi there

I bled for a full week after my biopsy on 12 May. Cramping too, for the whole week. I hope you feel better soon and that the results are clear - I am still waiting for mine.

S

Cass101

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »

Hi Sparkler

Thank you so much for your reply! It is comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who had this for more than 2 or 3 days, although I'm sorry you had to put up with it as well! I do hope you hear soon with a clear result - they did tell me it could take up to a month, but lets hope we both get a clear result soon. X

PinkPepsi

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:38:13 PM »

Hi,
I had a biopsy last November and I had cramps and bleeding after it too. I  can't remember exactly how long it went on for but it was probably about two weeks.
I remember mentioning it to my Doctor when I went about something else ten days later and she said it wasn't unusual but to monitor it and go back if it didn't stop.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 11:01:59 PM »

Hi there

I bled for a full week after my biopsy on 12 May. Cramping too, for the whole week. I hope you feel better soon and that the results are clear - I am still waiting for mine.

S
A week is quite long. My post biopsy bleeding last week had finished by Sunday (3 days). Good luck re. result.  I am getting mine next Friday 29th.

Cass101

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 05:37:34 AM »

Hi Everyone, thank you so much for your replies, you are all so helpful!

PinkPepsi, it's really comforting to know that I'm not alone in having after effects for a bit longer, so thank you! I think things have settled a bit now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Katejo, thank you & good luck with your results next week, I do hope all goes well for you.