Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Discovery About Vitamin D  (Read 3139 times)

Kathleen

Discovery About Vitamin D
« on: May 22, 2020, 05:57:05 PM »

Hello ladies.

Earlier today I learned that Vitamin D supplements should not be taken at night because they can interfere with  melatonin production and disturb sleep.

There is also a possibility that adequate vitamin D levels offer some protection against COVID 19.  Research is ongoing but  if anyone is thinking about supplementing it's best to do so during the day and not at bed time.

Take care everyone.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Discovery About Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 06:02:53 PM »

Where did U read this?  Links? 

We should be getting enough VitD when out and about.  Ongoing research regarding VitD/oestrogen/ethic background related to C-19 will continue.

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:02:08 PM »

Where did U read this?  Links? 

We should be getting enough VitD when out and about.  Ongoing research regarding VitD/oestrogen/ethic background related to C-19 will continue.

Not if you are not outside much, have to use a lot of sun protection, are BAME or over 60.

That covers a lot of people.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:50:57 PM »

According to my lovely GP you need at least fifteen minutes of full sun on forearms and face each day. With the current advice to try to avoid skin cancer most moisturisers and foundations incorporate quite a high SPF which blocks the vitamin D.

It has been known since the beginning of the Covid-19 outbreak that Vitamin D levels need to be at an optimum level, not so much due to it being specific to the virus, but more because Vitamin D is very important at keeping our immune system healthy I believe.

I had heard about the link with melatonin and sleep disruption but as far as I know there has not been any scientific evidence to date. I always use my spray in the morning.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:04:54 PM »

Early morning and late afternoon sunshine, not mid-day heat. I can't sit out if it's really hot luckily we have shade to shelter under.

Be interesting to see if this research throws any light ;-)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 12:53:58 PM »

Three years ago my teen son's Vitamin D levels were in his boots according to his Paediatrician and that year he had several colds and chest infections so he was prescribed high dose supplements. The following two winters he has been far healthier although he did catch Covid several weeks ago.

I have been taking Vitamin D for the last two months, i did read that you should take it with a fat containing meal.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 01:15:31 PM »

Where did U read that?  I took my capsule : 30 Fultium-D3 3,2000unit : with my afternoon cuppa.  Worked. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »

Can't remember ::) I take mine in morning with breakfast.

Katia

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »

Bit D is considered a bit or a hormone. The body makes more hormones in the morning so they should be taken in the am. I take all my vitamins and my hrt first thing

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 02:59:36 PM »

Vitamin D is fat soluble, which is why they recommend taking it with a meal containing fat. I take mine with the evening meal and sleep like a log.

JP x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »

:thankyou:

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 03:48:06 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Interesting responses ladies.

There will be more information on the impact of Vitamin D and COVID 19 in the coming weeks. Let's hope research provides some good news soon.

Take care everyone.

K.

CrispyChick

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 04:26:53 PM »

We certainly do not all get enough. In Scotland it is recommended that everyone supplements. I was low when tested and I love being out in the sun - probably just not enough of it, or not strong enough. I am also very fair skinned so burn very easily.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »

I get plenty and now recognise the symptoms of low levels.  I was really *corcenered that I had something terminal at the time  :-\ , however the capsules worked.  *concerned ...........
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:12:57 PM by CLKD »

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 05:06:41 PM »

I get plenty and now recognise the symptoms of low levels.  I was really cornered that I had something terminal at the time  :-\ , however the capsules worked.

Your level can be too low without any symptoms, unfortunately.
Pages: [1] 2