Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 693 times)

bart17

• First Flush
Looking for advice
« on: May 18, 2020, 07:00:09 PM »

Hi. I am looking for a wee bit of advice. I am 50yrs old and for the last couple of years I have been a mess at times not realising that I have been perimenopausal. I have an 8yr old and I feel really sad that I have been irritable with him at times and my moods have been really really low. God the amount of times I have sat and cried. I have finally taken the step to do something. My energy levels have been shot to pieces at times, I thought it was maybe because I am an older mother, could still be though. I have been waking up during the night and it's like I haven't actually been sleeping when I do. My boobs have become really sore before a period which never happened before. I had 3 periods in the space of 4 weeks a couple of months ago.

I have spoken with a Doctor and she did suggest anti-depressants but she also said that I could go and do some research and decide what road I want to go down. The only thing is my mum died from Ovarian cancer and my aunt had bowl cancer last year, so  I am trying to look at risks but it is a minefield. I think that's why she isn't saying definitely HRT and giving me the choice. I am the most indecisive person and I overthink things at the best of times so I am finding it hard to think about what to do.  So it's just to ask for advice from women who are actually going through this  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 07:57:54 PM »

Sounds about 'normal' from here  ::)  :welcomemm: ........ browse round.  Make notes.  Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Which symptom would you like to ease first?

Your 8 year old is able to help - a few chores with rewards to ease any irritability on your part, make him involved.  Don't worry if he doesn't do things as you would ......... getting him engaged.  Also have a buzz word so that if you get on at him he can, without your getting back at him, remind you that your may be a little OTT.  Works with husbands too ;-). 

HORMONES!  There are several types of HRT and several ways of delivering it into the body.  Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy! ;-). 

I think many over think at this time of Life! 

bart17

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »

Thanks for replying.

I will have a look there, thanks. I think I want to go on HRT rather than anti depressants, I'm just worried about the risks with my family history. But I only gave up smoking a few months ago and what can be more risky than smoking ::).
I've been trying the marble trick (not a lot there) but we're getting there  :)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 09:56:34 PM »

Transdermal hrt is safer than oral. I think (not certain) that the increased risk is for breast cancer rather than any cancer. They say the increased risk is less than from smoking, drinking or being overweight. I was offered ADs too but went down the hrt route and I'm glad I did. If you suffer from low oestrogen it can really only be cured by increasing your oestrogen levels. Whichever route you take it's important to have a healthy lifestyle. We'll done for quitting smoking.