Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: changing hrt  (Read 1575 times)

Sammiejane

changing hrt
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:07:25 AM »

morning ladies

hope you are all well

so my question is has any of you been on all 3 hormones estrogen progesterone and testosterone and then stopped

i?m currently on gel and progesterone and all going great however have noticed my hair is shedding again it was the same before adding progesterone there is less when washing it and brushing but then finding more hairs on floor then when i stopped hrt my hairline is receding also on hrt and lost the hair nape of neck i thought adding progesterone would help but i really don't think it is and i?m suffering with dry mouth itchy skin now have sore ears which i don't know if gel or progesterone but here is the thing should i try testosterone see if it helps these symptoms or do i sack off this regime once and for all and try a patch sticking with P daily or stop the P
i have had a hysterectomy so progesterone isn't necessary and was using to help mood which it has and sleep but that's it and pelvic floor feels weaker vagina dryer i've recently increased to 2.5 pumps and overall feel better then i have just want my hair to stop shedding would testosterone be my missing key x

if i change to patch would it be better to stop current regime get back to baseline again or change my gel to patch again keeping or dropping progesterone

i have choice in cupboard of esdradot or everol i found estradot stuck better and are smaller

i just don't know what to do and feel it's been 18 months now and not getting anywhere fast !

shall i sack off hrt and just keep using ovestin would this be enough on its own to prevent prolapse VA bladder irritation ?

thank you ladies your help and support so much needed

Whatsupwiththis

Re: changing hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 03:03:57 PM »

Sammiejane:  can't help much with HRT but if your major symptom us VA, local treatment is best option.  Yes definately stick with Ovestin and/or Vagifem.  I know you are concerned about shedding hair but personally I would worry much more about VA and the long term effect it can have on us.  As you well know, VA takes a long, long, LONG time to get under control.  Once your bladder/prolapse is starting to resolve, then address the hair issue. 

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »

Sammijane,i think it's the progesterone that cause the hair loss,at least it was in my case when on Evoral Conti, although i had some hair loss before but got really bad on EC
Also i don't think testosterone helps with hair loss, as livial has some kind of testosterone in it and my Dr said it's androgenic so might not help,so stopping them again
Hope this helps,i know how it bothers you as i am the same,it's soul destroying isn't it? :(

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »

Hi Sammiejane,
I've been unhappy on the same regime as you for 8 months now, not causing any hair problems, but not feeling any better in general and having abdominal problems.

I decided last week to stop everything apart from Vagifem which I have increased to every other night now. I thought I would see how I get on without HRT.
I have paid for an email to Dr Heather Currie asking her about my issues, have said I will stop and wait til Femseven patches are available again? Or does she know of a better regime that might suit? Tablets are a no-no cos am 63.
I am still waiting for her reply, so will let you know if she has anything helpful that might be of some use to you.

It is soul destroying Jaycee, so many people seem to be trying lots of different regimes! xx

Sammiejane

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »

hi jaycee

i think progesterone has improved my hair shedding from estrogen alone as when i wash my hair it's reduced from 120 hairs to 20-30 and brushing there's one or two but finding up to 20 hairs on floor still when i was off hrt i lost none when brushing none on the floor and then 20-30 when washing but what i have noticed since being on hrt it caused my hairline to recede all around my head mainly behind ears nape of neck which is the most distressing x a sim in surgical menopause my free testosterone is only 0.6 so menopause spec and Gp said this is low and want me to start testosterone but if doesn't help i?m given up and will just have ovestin and put up with the rest cause i've already lost hair my thickness of hair in 18 months x

i assume changing to patch from the gel will make no difference

jaycee

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 06:12:05 PM »

Sammiejane,that is exactly where i have lost mine, not quite down to nape of neck but all across from ear to ear,but have a little below that
I think i am going to try Regaine, someone on mumsnet says her hair has grown really well on it and also she has grown her eyebrows back with it

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »

hi jaycee

i know it's not the progesterone that's caused this it's being on estrogen only which personally i think causes imbalances i?m hoping tesosterone will help if not it's hrt free for me before i go completely bald i?m only 41 if i was 51 i wouldn't care as much but it's effected my mental health so bad !
i was going to change to a patch but i don't think this will make any difference and would rather add tesosterone to see if missing key rather then keep changing estrogen x as i settled on what i?m on but we shall see if not it will be another break x what are you now on jaycee what other hrt have you tried have you had issues on all of them with your hair ?

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »

Hi Sammiejane et al, this was a quick response from Dr Heather Currie, she said she will reply more in full later :-

"Absorption does vary from preparations and since apparent poor response from the gel, it would be worth trying a patch for the estrogen, and continue Utrogestan 100mg daily at bedtime, for the progesterone.
While Femseven estrogen patches are not available at present, other patches are, such as Estradot and Evorel. You can see recent update on availability at
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=220 and different types overall at www.menopausematters.co.uk/tree.php".

Any ladies know whether Evorel or Estradot is the best to try? Since stopping everything last week I have been feeling shaky and light headed, is this a normal reaction to coming off HRT???
Thank you xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »

Hi Sammiejane et al, this was a quick response from Dr Heather Currie, she said she will reply more in full later :-

"Absorption does vary from preparations and since apparent poor response from the gel, it would be worth trying a patch for the estrogen, and continue Utrogestan 100mg daily at bedtime, for the progesterone.
While Femseven estrogen patches are not available at present, other patches are, such as Estradot and Evorel. You can see recent update on availability at
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=220 and different types overall at www.menopausematters.co.uk/tree.php".

Any ladies know whether Evorel or Estradot is the best to try? Since stopping everything last week I have been feeling shaky and light headed, is this a normal reaction to coming off HRT???
Thank you xx

I have never used Evorel  but find Estradot fine. They are small and stick very well. I didn't have any supply issues with my last prescription a couple of months ago.

I should think the shaky and light headed feelings could well be a reaction to stopping.

JP x

Sammiejane

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 09:45:51 PM »

hi

it really isn't my thyroid it is since starting hrt

all bloods normal had it all done

before hrt i lost no hair and i was 4 yrs free hrt my hair did the opposite it went thicker and grew fast

i also now have another ear infection seen to suffer them on hrt which spreads to my one eye !

joanie pat - u now take estradot and testosterone and if i remember correctly do shedding stopped adding testosterone x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »

Thank you Joaniepat, am just unsure of which strength of estradot to ask for which is equivalent to 2 pumps gel? I see it comes in various ones and this particular patch seems to be a very popular one on here. If I can find out which I need I can just ask GP to do a script for it?
I had a brief reply from Dr Currie suggesting Estradot of Evorel but she said she would reply in more depth soon, but didn't say which strength...

Unsure whether to just go straight back on the gel and utrogestan now after a week off until I can get a patch or would it be best to wait??
Thank you xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »

Thank you Joaniepat, am just unsure of which strength of estradot to ask for which is equivalent to 2 pumps gel? I see it comes in various ones and this particular patch seems to be a very popular one on here. If I can find out which I need I can just ask GP to do a script for it?
I had a brief reply from Dr Currie suggesting Estradot of Evorel but she said she would reply in more depth soon, but didn't say which strength...

Unsure whether to just go straight back on the gel and utrogestan now after a week off until I can get a patch or would it be best to wait??
Thank you xx
I believe the equivalent to 2 pumps of Oestrogel would be Estradot 50. I'm sorry I can't advise on anything to do with Utrogestan as I don't need it, but someone here will know.

JP x