Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Blood & brown discharge for 3 weeks  (Read 1815 times)

Jacqueline59

• First Flush
Blood & brown discharge for 3 weeks
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »

Hi, I am 60 & on Kliofem conti. Suddenly 3 weeks ago I had a very heavy period.  My doctor sent me for the internal scan & nothing unusual was found.  However, I'm still bleeding, more lightly but it's smelly & brown.  I ordered some BV gel treatment but it hasn't cleared.  Has anyone else suffered this?

kimmyi

Re: Blood & brown discharge for 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »

Hi Jacqueline,

Have you looked on the leaflet that usually comes with medication to see if this is perhaps a side effect ?

I was on Kliovance for 3 months and just finished course. I didn't get a repeat prescription as I started having brown discharge, I'm 60 as well.

What with the situation with the gp surgeries at present it's difficult to discuss over the telephone.

Bleeding was one of the side effects listed with kliovance, don't know if the same with your hrt.

Good luck x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »

If a discharge is smelly then it needs to be seen by a Nurse so that a swab can be sent away for testing!   As for brown discharge it's usually caused by old blood that didn't come away with a period.  I would get this about 2 days after a bleed had finished. 

Jacqueline59

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:03:06 AM »

Hi Jacqueline,

Have you looked on the leaflet that usually comes with medication to see if this is perhaps a side effect ?

I was on Kliovance for 3 months and just finished course. I didn't get a repeat prescription as I started having brown discharge, I'm 60 as well.

What with the situation with the gp surgeries at present it's difficult to discuss over the telephone.

Bleeding was one of the side effects listed with kliovance, don't know if the same with your hrt.

Good luck x

Thank you for your reply.  I think the leaflet mentioned break through bleeding for the first 3 months of starting Kliofem but this is after 2 years.  I will definitely try changing brands when able.  it's so difficult trying to find the right brand/formula when you don't want a monthly bleed. Xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 08:16:10 AM »

Some HRT gives breakthrough for a few months.  It may be worth while using this for at least 4-5 months to see what benefits you get?  How is the discharge this morning?

Jacqueline59

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »

This morning lots of brown & pale red on pad.  I had some fairly active garden duties today & that made it worse.  I think I will have to inform my Doctor & re think the Kliofem.  I wish I had a magic wand.  Xx

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:21:28 PM »

If the bleeding is smelly then I think you need to be checked out. You could have an infection caused by the internal scan which may need antibiotics. Please don't leave it.

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 07:40:38 AM »

I agree.  Exercise is unlikely to cause vaginal bleeding.  Give your Practice a ring this morning to see if there is a Nurse available for a look-see and to take a swab.  Let us know!