Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estrogel and Utrogestan  (Read 1400 times)

lizzog

Estrogel and Utrogestan
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »

My second mirena has expired, and my GP has given me some Utrogestan 100 to use in addition to the Estrogel that I'm currently also using (one pump twice a day).  I can leave the mirena in for another year I think she said.
I've not had a period since last September, so hoping that I'm nearing the end of the menopause....
 I'm a bit concerned about bleeding again after having such a long time without bleeding.
I really don't want another mirena fitted as the last one was not a pleasant experience, and I bled like crazy after the removal so I'm putting that off unless this doesn't work out.
Any advice at all what to expect?

lizzog

Re: Estrogel and Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:11:53 PM »

Also, I've just noticed that it says take one daily at bedtime, yet in the leaflet it says take two at bedtime on days 15-26 of your 28 day cycle  :-\

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 01:08:08 PM »

Hi lizzog, I'm 10 years post meno and started HRT last October at age 63. I have 2 pumps gel and 100mg Utrogestan daily and so far touch wood have had no bleeds, as I didn't want the sequi regime and bleeds at my age!
Hope you get on ok with it. x

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 12:04:46 PM »

hi julia dizzy

on your regime which is same as mine 2 pumps gel 100 utro daily have you noticed any irritation on your scalp mainly the hairline i have and noticed when it when i went up to 2.5 pumps as felt i was getting to much P and it triggered sorenes stinging around my hairline and that seems to be where i?m loosing most of my hair i've been on gel on its own before and had hair shedding but progesterone i think is helping but i've just reduced progesterone to alternate nights however this is triggering headaches but needed to see if it's the gel causing the issue in scalp or the P ?

Nettie3070

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »

If you want a no bleed regime you need to take one daily at night time as can help with sleep and without a break. You may get some spotting or bleeding for the first few months which us normal when changing regime unless your concerned when you should get advice from your GP...lots of support here xxx

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 02:07:06 PM »

Mirena lasts 5 years for hrt but 4 for contraception. If you're peri you should use Utrogestan cyclically and have a bleed, if you're meno you can use it either way. You don't say how old you are but as you had a bleed last Sept you haven't been a year so I think you're peri?

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 03:10:27 PM »

Hi Sammiejane,

no I don't seem to have any problems with my hair or scalp at all, that must be very frustrating for you along with the headaches! I hope it all settles down soon? I have read lots of people on here suffer with progesterone problems. I haven't tried reducing the Utro as am supposed to take it daily.

I would dearly love to go on to try patches and hence a different type of progesterone to see if that made a difference, but unable to see gynae meno consultant obviously at the moment, and patches still in short or no supply...unless anyone knows a good one that we can source now and I can request it from my GP maybe???

Can any ladies suggest a good one similar to 2 pumps estrogel and 100mg Utro daily please ??

I seem to have all lot of upper middle abdominal discomfort and sharp twinges, with lots of burping and gurgling (sorry maybe TMI 😏) so not sure if it's making my multiple small gallstones that I know I have worse or not! The pack leaflet on Utrogestan does say something about gallstones in the side effects but not sure how it can affect it?

How do we know if HRT just doesn't suit us at all though, the only thing it has helped so far are my hot flushes 7 months down the line, but I still wake up in a mornings and have a mild one grrrr!!! What's that all about??!!

Still confused here!!🤯

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »

Hi Stella Jane,

No, haven't tried any patch form yet, as the ones my consultant initially suggested (FemSeven conti) are not in stock possibly 'til the end of this year?

Do you know of one that is available that is equivalent to my regime of 2 pumps gel and 100mg Utro daily??

Many thanks xx

Flan747

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 05:25:54 AM »

I have been on gel 3 pumps and Utrogestron 100mg used vaginally for 12 nights for 10 months now. Whilst some of my peri menopause symptoms have improved I just can't get on with the days following the Utrogestron! I have severe mood drop where I literally can't stop crying and feel generally awful! What is the alternative! I have only lasted 4 days taking it this month 

Emm225

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »

Re combined patch..I phoned my doctor last week as tablet not agreeing with me but doctor told me they couldn't get hold of combined patch altho could get estrodot

KarineT

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »

JuliaDizzy, why are you still on HRT if you're 10 years postmenopause?  Are you still having symptoms?  The reason I am asking is because I'm thinking of starting a treatment but I'm worried that my symptoms will last forever.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »

Hi KarineT,

I started on HRT last October as was so fed up of still having hot flushes, joint/muscle aches and pains, bad anxiety etc etc. My GP had said I seem to be just one of the unlucky ones whose hot flushes have not gone and may not go away. I was still having about 4-6 a day, which of course was nowhere near as bad as the beginning of it all 10 years ago when they were horrendous as soon as my periods stopped. My face used to go purple and the sweating etc was so uncomfortable.
I still have an occasional warm flush feeling just in the mornings now when I wake up.

I can't say I feel much better in general overall since taking HRT.  I still have global anxiety, muscle and joint aches, still tired mostly even though I sleep ok, have abdominal discomfort (Utrogestan??) and am wondering whether to just have a break from it until the patches are available later this year and try again?
I asked my Dr last September to refer me to my local menopause clinic, as she said it was not her area of expertise, but if the benefits outweighed the risks then there was no limit as to how long you could be on it. Its just trying to find the right one for you that is the minefield!

I hope you manage to find some answers and let us know if you decide to go ahead? Good luck and stay safe xx