Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Time to recover from GA after minor procedure (day surgery)  (Read 4489 times)

Katejo

I haven't had a GA for 14 years. I have to have one this Thursday to have a biopsy done (part of hysterosocopy). i have already had a hysteroscopy under local so was checked for polyps and fibroids but the biopsy part was too painful.

My question here is about the recovery from a GA. Have you had one fairly recently in a day surgery? I have someone to take me home and someone to keep an eye on me for 24 hours. However the guidance notes also say that I shouldn't even boil a kettle for 48 hours after the anaesthetic wears off. I find this hard to believe. My op 14 years ago was more serious and involved a couple of nights in hospital but I was fully conscious and aware the following morning.

Dorothy

Re: Time to recover from GA after minor procedure (day surgery)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 03:13:21 PM »

I'm guessing maybe someone hurt themselves with boiling water after a GA, so this is the hospital attempting to protect themselves?!

I found my reactions were a bit slower for maybe 48 hours after, and I would get tired by mid afternoon for about a month after, but that was all.

Although if you have someone to make your tea, I'd just put your feet up and enjoy being waited on for 48 hours  :)

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 03:20:23 PM »

I'm guessing maybe someone hurt themselves with boiling water after a GA, so this is the hospital attempting to protect themselves?!

I found my reactions were a bit slower for maybe 48 hours after, and I would get tired by mid afternoon for about a month after, but that was all.

Although if you have someone to make your tea, I'd just put your feet up and enjoy being waited on for 48 hours  :)
  I don't really have anyone to wait over me as such. My lodger will keep an eye on me to satisfy the hospital but I am not expecting him to make me cups of tea or prepare food. I will make sure I have some cold snacks in the house to avoid cooking for 24 hours.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »

Hello Katejo

I had  a GA  for an emergency C Section and the advice about boiling kettles referred to not lifting anything for a while. I can't see how this would apply to you but maybe ask the nurse at your appointment.  When my MIL couldn't lift a kettle after her hysterectomy she devised a way to tip it instead.

Hope all goes well for you on Thursday and please keep us updated.

Wishing you well.

K.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »

Hello Katejo

I had  a GA  for an emergency C Section and the advice about boiling kettles referred to not lifting anything for a while. I can't see how this would apply to you but maybe ask the nurse at your appointment.  When my MIL couldn't lift a kettle after her hysterectomy she devised a way to tip it instead.

Hope all goes well for you on Thursday and please keep us updated.

Wishing you well.

K.
   It isn't to do with lifting in this case. It gives the usual 'Mustn't drive or operate machinery' and then adds 'machinery'  includes boiling a kettle or using a cooker.

Thanks Kathleen. I will give an update. I really wish I could avoid having it. The monthly bleeding (after starting Evorel Conti a year ago) has reduced to a very light trickle. Almost non existent. Nothing at night.

Penguin99

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 04:04:36 PM »

Hi, I've had 2 in the last 18 months. I agree with someone to look after you as the second one, when my dinner arrived (jacket potato), I took a photo of it, but I didn't realise for 4 days when I looked on my phone and thought " what's that?"  ;D I'm due another soon when I have my 3rd knee op .
As strange as it sounds, I think it's a great feeling, you're talking away then bang you're out.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »

You should stay overnight if there isn't anyone to look after you for 48 hours.  A general anaesthetic can affect people in different ways.  When I had 1 30 years ago I was OK for 10 days, then it suddenly hit me.  I slept for 2 days  ::)

Last time I had two long operations 8 days apart.  Both times I slept until 4.00 p.m. then suddenly woke, as the aneasethic left my body I could feel it going.  Then I wanted tea and toast.  So it really does depend on how long a person is 'under', the skill of the Anaesthetis and how people react.

What time are you due in?

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »

Hi, I've had 2 in the last 18 months. I agree with someone to look after you as the second one, when my dinner arrived (jacket potato), I took a photo of it, but I didn't realise for 4 days when I looked on my phone and thought " what's that?"  ;D I'm due another soon when I have my 3rd knee op .
As strange as it sounds, I think it's a great feeling, you're talking away then bang you're out.
I just can't get it out of my head that there is always a risk with a GA, small but it does exist. Also the last one made me sick during the night afterwards and I couldn't get to sleep after being asleep all afternoon.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »

No one needs to be sick after GA.  Speak to the Aneashtetist.  [pity I can't spell  >:(].  Prior to surgery in 1991 I had a long telephone conversation with the Anaesthetist explaining my weight and asking for an anti-emetic - I also told her that she wouldn't be paid if I was sick after.  I wasn't.  She gave me a jab with the pre-med, one during surgery and another in recovery.  Worked.  I think it might be due to GA making some sort of travel sick as well as being empty .........

All operations have an element of danger with or without GA.  What time are you due in?

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 04:45:32 PM »

You should stay overnight if there isn't anyone to look after you for 48 hours.  A general anaesthetic can affect people in different ways.  When I had 1 30 years ago I was OK for 10 days, then it suddenly hit me.  I slept for 2 days  ::)

Last time I had two long operations 8 days apart.  Both times I slept until 4.00 p.m. then suddenly woke, as the aneasethic left my body I could feel it going.  Then I wanted tea and toast.  So it really does depend on how long a person is 'under', the skill of the Anaesthetis and how people react.

What time are you due in?
There is no option to stay overnight. I would have preferred it but the answer was a firm no. My lodger will keep an eye on me and my neighbour will check on me too. It is only a short procedure. Taking a biopsy. Due to start at 13.00. Have to be there by 11.00.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »

Starved from when?  Usually it's from mid-night prior to a GA.  Sometimes a cup of tea and a slice of toast if surgery is after 1.00 p.m.  There should always be an option to stay over!!  Hopefully you will come round without problems .....

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »

Starved from when?  Usually it's from mid-night prior to a GA.  Sometimes a cup of tea and a slice of toast if surgery is after 1.00 p.m.  There should always be an option to stay over!!  Hopefully you will come round without problems .....
I can eat before 7am and drink water before 11am.   Staying overnight will only happen in the event of a complication. Otherwise it isn't available.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 04:58:02 PM »

Good luck!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »

My teen daughter had to have a GA for cardiac CT/Transoesophageal echo she took three days to feel really over the affects of GA, she was sick in recovery but they then gave her something to stop that.

Penguin99

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 06:01:33 PM »

Quote from: Katejo
[/quote
I can eat before 7am and drink water before 11am.   Staying overnight will only happen in the event of a complication. Otherwise it isn't available.
I agree, my first op I was home that evening, 2nd op I couldn't weight bear & was crying in pain, couldn't move, so stayed overnight. If they are not happy they won't let you go home.
I hope all works out well for you xx
Pages: [1] 2 3