Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feel like throwing in the towel with this HRT 😣😣  (Read 843 times)

Orba

Feel like throwing in the towel with this HRT 😣😣
« on: May 08, 2020, 04:22:53 PM »

Hi,
I'm 53 post menopause since 2017.
I tried Evorel patches over a year ago but stopped due to bad Migraines.
I struggled on  hot flushes,tiredness - wanting to kill husband etc Then 4 months ago started continuous HRT with Estradiol gel and Utrogestan tablets.
The first 10 weeks were great ,no side effects thought I'd cracked it then at the 3 month mark started bleeding.
Had a urgent Gynae appointment with a scan and colposcopy
These were normal ( apart from some scar tissue being mis diagnosed as a polyp !) And the consultant advised it was the progesterone element of HRT causing bleeding and recommended having a mirena  coil fitted instead .
GP  cannot do this yet due to covid.
I could put up with the bleeding if it stops eventually but today I've been bent over with cramps and feel awful.
Don't know what to do. I've been advised that if I want to stop HRT then I don't have to wean off just stop taking as its only been a few months.
My menopause symptoms before this were awful and I made my husband's life hell  but don't know how long to wait this out. . . 😢😢

Dotty

Re: Feel like throwing in the towel with this HRT 😣😣
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 05:14:22 PM »

Hi bleeding can happen for the first 6  months of starting any new HRT. It should not need investigating if it happens in this time.

Did your periods stop in 2017? Were you definitely 12 months period free ? X

Orba

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »

Hi Dotty,
Yes was Dec 12 months period free,in fact last true period was Dec 2016, but didn't start HRT the first time until 2018/19.
I had read up a lot on start up effects so didn't over worry about the bleeding at first but the GP  wanted me to be seen as I have a past history of CIN 3 and polyps.
Suppose I just need to weigh up what I can put up with 😐

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 05:54:39 PM »

Hi you say your menopause symptoms were awful before HRT, so it's weighing up if you want to go back to them.

How many pumps of Oestrogel are you using? Are you using 100mg of Utrogestan daily ?

Sorry for all the questions....just trying to get the full picture 😊

Orba

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 06:16:04 PM »

Hi, that's ok ask away !!
Two pumps of gel in the morning and 100mg Utrogestan at night.
Seemed to be fine for the first couple of months !
I know ultimately I'm better on it but when in pain it's hard to keep going, I've had to go to bed today with the cramping.
Suppose just wondered if anyone else had dealt with similar.
Potentially could deal with menopause symptoms if I didn't work ,had teenage kids etc .The worst symptoms for me was the fatigue and low mood 😕

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 01:24:44 PM »

Hi it could be that Utrogestan doesn't suit you or you could be better on a cycle, but that would cause monthly bleeding. Or you might need to give it 6 months to settle.

Your other option would be Provera . X