Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Very Sore Scalp  (Read 7383 times)

Kat052

Very Sore Scalp
« on: May 07, 2020, 05:55:06 PM »

Hi All,

I've seen a couple of posts on this topic, but none recent so wanted to reach out for some support  :-*

I'm 43 & in perimenopause, periods erratic (on one now) & none if the 'usual' symptoms. I found an article where they listed 66 symptoms, which was a Godsend as thought I was going mad (buzzing feet, twitching, muscle spasms, acid reflux, migraines, tinnitus to name a few).

3 days ago, I've started with such a sore/sensitive scalp it's bringing me to tears. No flaky, itchy or redness, just feels like I've sunburnt my whole head. Mild headaches as well, but the scalp issue is new.

Called Dr today as a bit worried but she said "nothing I've ever heard of! Not neurological as would be localised & not allergy as would be red).

Told me to try Amytriptyline and magnesium. Does/has anyone suffered from this? I'm pinning most things on perimenopause at min as have had swathes of tests, scans etc to rule out many other things.

Just wondering if anyone has found relief or believes this could be hormone related.

Thanks so much, Kat :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Very Sore Scalp
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 05:58:43 PM »

HORMONES  ::) we had recent topics.

As oestrogen levels drop skin may become dry and sore.  I have a couple of spots on my scalp so wash hair more regularly.  I need different shampoo as what I am using makes my hair dull.

May add it to the list for the village shop when I collect our Sat papers. 

A drop of baby oil after shampooing massaged gently might help.

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »

Yes! I put a post up recently titled sore hair follicles.

I'm the same age as you. Had peri symptoms for 2 1/2 years. The scalp pain has only been with me for a year.

Mine comes and goes. But it can come on instantly - agonising sore hair and severe tingling. It can also go away just as quickly.

I'm trialling different contraceptive pills, have been for 6 months. This current one is giving me scalp issues on and off. It is high in estrogen. All very confusing. I haven't found a solution, as yet...... But it's nice to know you are not alone. X

Kat052

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »

Thanks so much for reply  ;D wouldn't wish it on anyone else, but it is good to know you're not alone in these things  :-\

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »

It is Kat. I don't have many of the 'regular' symptoms either. My main ones are vertigo and nausea. Horrific. The pill is certainly helping that, but causing its own set of problems........ ???

Sammiejane

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »

hi ladies

have been reading your posts and yes i suffer with sore scalp and have lost a lot of hair all around hairline and nape of neck and i?m in hrt estrogel and utro and trying to figure out what's causing it as only been happening since starting hrt i've tried utro alternate days which was better for scalp but flushes were coming back i've now gone back to daily and increased the gel to 2.5 pumps but it's still there , i've had hysterectomy so take progesterone ss mood stabilizer but i remember having the irritation on the gel on its own so it thinking it that so annoying it's either take 2 pumps alternate days progesterone or change gel to patch i don't know what to do fear of feeling worse is getting the better of me . urination is better on the progesterone as felt on estrogen alone i wasn't emptying my bladder properly so for me the scalp irritation is a sign i?m loosing more hair x

Sunny99

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 08:54:56 PM »

Hi Kat

Same age as you and I've had no end of random issues over the past few years and put it down to hormones but just don't know. Over the past month my head has been really sore at different touch points, feels bruised/ tender to touch. Starts on both sides and sometimes moves to the back. Had it for three weeks now and fed up ☹️. Feels like a weird build up of pressure.

As in the doc saying it would be localised if neurological do they mean in one place?

Have you found anything to help?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 03:38:51 PM »

Mine is sore today, so I need to wash my hair again.  That usually sorts it ;-)