Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Natural estrogen and progesterone  (Read 1758 times)

Zar

Natural estrogen and progesterone
« on: April 22, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »

Hi

I hope someone can advise. I'm 52.  I've been on HRT for two months now - Evorel Sequi. It has been such a relief to get rid of the horrendous hot flushes which were coming every half an hour! However,  I believe Evorel Sequi contains a natural estrogen but a synthetic progesterone. (3.2 mg estradiol and 11.2 mg norethisterone acetate). 

I found the first month that I took it that the progesterone was quite aggressive - I was bloated, bad stomach cramps for around a week, spots on my chin/jaw area (haven't had spots for years), and I took a really have period which lasted 5 days, I mean 5 days really heavy. This month, having said that, hasn't been so bad - period due in 2 days and haven't had it as bad as before.

However, after doing some research, I'd really like to be on Utrogesan - the natural progesterone. Along with a natural estrogen. I can't take tablets as there is a family member who had a blood clot so it has to be a patch (or cream/gel?). I'm finding it hard to get a response from my GP as they are busy dealing with Corona - I did call a month ago and called again today but was told the doctor had written away for advice and has not yet had a response.

I live in Scotland. Could someone advise as to a brand name or product that I can ask for. After today's call I have now to call round all local pharmacies to see if they have my current patch in stock so I thought it might be a good idea to ask if they also have any other natural alternatives that any of you can recommend.

I hope all of that made sense! And would really appreciate some advice! Thank you!

☺️

sheila99

Re: Natural estrogen and progesterone
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »

There are many people who have problems with utrogeston too. I was fine with the prog in evorel but had to change because an allergic reaction. Utro makes me very tired. I'm not sure if you can get utro in Scotland? There's someone from Lothian who can't. I'd be inclined to give it the recommended 3 months before changing as it takes time to settle. When you're ringing round perhaps ask them what they can get. The tab at the top will take you to treatments.

Zar

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 03:49:45 PM »

Thanks very much for your reply! That was very useful. Yes I?ll stick to the 3 months as that makes sense. My local Boots pharmacy has Utogesan. I was interested to see you say people have problems with Utrogesan too so I?ll do a bit more research before taking it further. Thanks again for taking the time to reply! 🥳

Emm225

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 06:26:49 AM »

Can I ask how long it took for the hot flushes to go? I have recently started HRT and although I'd say they have lessened slightly I am still getting them.  Plus is I only wake once in the night...yay!

Zar

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »

Hi

I started off with tablets (can't remember the name), was on them for a month and there was literally no change - the hot flushes were as bad as ever. I felt devastated. Then I changed to the patches and I'd say they kicked in right away. Certainly within a day or two. Are you on patches?

Emm225

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 06:03:41 PM »

I am on patches..estrodot 25 and utrogeston 100 tablet.  Feel quite tired..think that's the utrogeston tablet , although sleep a bit better..only wake once with nightmare flush! (don't you think flush sounds too mild...my body literally EXPLODES with heat!)

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 09:34:25 PM »

25 is a very low dose, I started on 50 in peri, now on 75. Flushes are usually quick to go, if you've been on it more than a couple of weeks I think you need more oestrogen. I get tired on utro too. You could take it cyclically instead (200mg for 12 days) which means you'll have a bleed but will get some respite in between. Maybe on a long cycle with the support of your gp.

Zar

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »

Yes ?hot flush? is an understatement! And exploding is much more accurate in my case!

My doctor got back to me (by text) and said that this is a possible option:

HRT Advice
regime - Estriodal (evorel 50) patches with utrogestant 200mg (2x100mg) noct for 12 days (day 15 - 26)

Did he accidentally put a 't? on the end of utrogestan?

The utrogestan is a tablet but I was reluctant to take tablets because of the family history of blood clots. He said that it does exist as a patch but it's unregulated. So now I need to decide if I want to stick with a synthetic progesterone patch (which I am currently on) or change to a body identical tablet! I'm not sure which is the least/most risky option - or am I just being picky? Ideally I would love a utrogestan patch!

I still need to phone round pharmacies to track things down so I'm now not sure what to ask for! 🤦🏽‍♀️

Any advice would be appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »

I'm not the one to make suggestions but didn't want to cut and run  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 01:47:24 PM »

Utrogestan can be used vaginally, just push it up as far as you can just before you go to bed. The same thing in 200mg is licensed for IVF this way, and for hrt in other European countries but not in the UK. Many people on this forum use it this way, I do too. There should be fewer problems as it bypasses the gut and it's put as close as you can get to where it's required. I'm not aware of utrogeston in a patch. I'm not sure there's much picking, you need to use the one that suits you best and you can only do that by trying them, but I'd say if you find something that suits you should stick with it.

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 01:48:03 PM »

I am on the Oestrogel which is a rub on gel, works wonderfully and the Utrogestan 100mg used vaginally for 12 days every other month, its a great combo for me as bio identical and does the trick, never had a flush since I started it and only use one pump, been on it for over 12 yrs. I couldnt take the 200mg Utrogestan, was too heavy for me and also could not swallow it, thus using it vaginally which seems to work much quicker as well.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 06:47:39 PM »

Just to add the blood clot risk only refers to the oestrogen component not the progesterone so it's fine to take this orally if you want to without additional risk in that area. It's not a tablet as such but a slightly squashy capsule or tiny ball! I've always been nil-by-mouth when it comes to HRT so have only ever used it vaginally.

Hurdity x

Tinacros

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 06:47:31 PM »

I am on the Oestrogel which is a rub on gel, works wonderfully and the Utrogestan 100mg used vaginally for 12 days every other month, its a great combo for me as bio identical and does the trick, never had a flush since I started it and only use one pump, been on it for over 12 yrs. I couldnt take the 200mg Utrogestan, was too heavy for me and also could not swallow it, thus using it vaginally which seems to work much quicker as well.
Hi Cassie
Are you post meno? I'm after a regime where I don't take utrogestan every day.  Do u get a bleed taking it every other month.

Cassie

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 07:58:56 PM »

Hi yes very much post meno and I always get a bleed a few days after stopping the utrogestan.

Emm225

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 06:32:59 AM »

Am I supposed to have a break from the utrogesten/patches then?  My doctor didn't say anything about that so I have just been taking them all the time.  Mind you, my doctor didn't discuss at all, just said, I think this is the way forward.  And prescribed. Took me a good few weeks to decide that it WAS the way forward for me as was a bit anxious about HRT.  This was pre lockdown, and can't get hold of the doctor I saw.....