Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help on "post meno bleed"  (Read 626 times)

Cass101

Help on "post meno bleed"
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:12:06 AM »

I wonder if any of you ladies can help me please, & I'm hoping put my mind at rest!! I'm 59 years old & about 1 year ago I had what was treated as a post menopause bleed (basically just brown spotting & cramps for about 10 days). I had a Mirena coil & was also taking oestrogen in pill form (Elleste Solo). I was sent for a transvaginal scan, where everything looked normal, but they replaced the coil as it had been in place a few years. All has been fine since then, but then recently I developed sore breasts & stomach cramps again, basically everything I used to get prior to a period. I then got some brown spotting, at which point breasts no longer sore. This lasted about 8-10 days again, but has now gone & I'm fine. I should also mention that 2 months ago I had another transvaginal scan, & again it was normal. I had already booked a phone appointment with the doctor & spoke to her this morning, even though now all ok. She is now referring me for another scan, which I wasn't expecting. She said it's likely just hormones, but it's standard procedure now to check. I'm now really scared & worried in case I have cancer!! I had thought it was just hormones as I have been under a lot of stress for the last couple of years, but now I'm even more stressed!! Any advice or reassurance would be much appreciated - thank you so much everyone!

sheila99

Re: Help on "post meno bleed"
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:42:08 PM »

It sounds hormonal to me. If you have a mirena do you know for definite you're meno? I'm 59 and still have 'normal' cycles though irregular now. I'd be more worried if the spotting wasn't accompanied by other changes. When I had PRE cancerous changes the spotting was bright red not brown so I think it's unlikely to be that.

Cass101

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 05:02:48 AM »

Hi Sheila, thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! I did wonder this myself, as I was originally given the first Mirena quite a few years ago due to very heavy periods, which it did solve. The Mirena that was fitted last year after I had the scan was my third one. I started taking the oestrogen pills a few years ago when I had started to get hot flushes etc, so I have no idea really where I am in terms of "during" or "post" meno! I did ask the doctor this, but she just said that a woman of my age shouldn't be getting any bleeding or spotting & it needed checking out. I did wonder though why it would have been preceded by all my old pre-menstrual signs, i.e. sore breasts, miserable & extremely short tempered!! It is comforting to get your comments, thank you!

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:54:00 AM »

:)
You'd be surprised how many doctor's think everyone is in meno by 54, presumably there's a text book somewhere that says so. There are a few of us older ladies on here, there's a thread on it.

Cass101

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 12:34:25 PM »

Thank you, yes I'll have a look for the thread, it sounds like it could have useful information on there. It's so helpful getting input from people like yourself who have had similar experiences! It does seem to be assumed by doctors that if you haven't had a period for 12 months you are post meno, & yet it sounds as though that isn't always the case!