Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: oral progesterone every other day?  (Read 3093 times)

Shannonplussed

oral progesterone every other day?
« on: May 04, 2020, 04:53:57 PM »

I've read of a a few members who take Utro 100mg every other day (under supervision). Curious as to why? I'm realizing that while not progesterone intolerant, I seem to be needing more estrogen than my conservative doctors are pleased with. Does every other day progesterone dosing even work to maintain bleed-free continuous? Also, for those that use this, did you find that the amount of estrogen you needed decreased somewhat? I'm mindful of the actual E:P balance, and wondering if the actual amount of both could be reduced (under supervision). Just spitballing ideas before I speak to my OB-GYN to ask for another increase in Estrogel dosage.

Hurdity

Re: oral progesterone every other day?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »

It is unlicensed to be used this way and definitely not orally nor with higher doses of oestrogen as it is likely to be insuffucient to protect the uterus lining.  There is some research from small studies to show that when used vaginally the endometrium is protected from alternate day 100 mg utrogestan  for medium to low doses of oestrogen.

The women who are using it this way will be progesterone intolerant so trying to minimise the amount of side effects while maximising the amount of protection ( compared with oral use).

The amount of oestrogen you need has nothing to do with the amount of progesterone ie in terms of how you feel. The balance is only important for uterus protection. Therefore eg you could reduce the amount of progesterone needed by changing to vaginal use (so that more reaches the uterus than from oral use), but you wouldn't need to reduce the oestrogen. That is the whole point of the regime. Women feel better when they can experience the benefits of the oestrogen without the unwelcome negative side effects from the progesterone.

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

Re: oral progesterone every other day?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:11:11 PM »

hi

my situation is different but thought i would share i have been on 2 pumps gel and 100 mg daily but felt to much P so was suggested use alternate nights however i don't need P as have no womb but found doing alternate nights orally the night i didn't take the P i couldn't sleep as well had night sweats and i lasted week like this so found reducing the P i actually had i continued needed more E and now back on daily i still need more E as my mouth gets dry vagina dryer etc but i?m actually looking to change altogether as some other side effects i had have come back despite adding in P and also think the gel this time round is giving me a reaction on my scalp and loosing hair again x but just wanted to share as u may find you need more E everybody is different x