Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Memory and doing stupid things  (Read 963 times)

Leesh

Memory and doing stupid things
« on: May 04, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »

Hello everyone.

I haven't posted for quite some time as things had settled down for me with regard to symptoms, but now they're back with a vengeance!

A little back story; I am 51 and have been perimenopausal for a few years, with symptoms coming and going, but nothing majorly difficult. I tried HRT because my sleep had been affected but had the longest period in history (or so it seemed) and my GP said I didn't tolerate HRT well, so I just set about managing it myself.

All was going well...

The last couple of months have been hellish. Hot sweats are manageable if annoying, but I'm crying at the drop of a hat at literally anything! I'm certainly not depressed, it's just that things seem to affect me so much more easily. Still, I could deal with that too. But my memory has gone to pot, to the point that today I burst into tears (no surprises there) because I convinced myself I was slipping into dementia!

I'm doing the most stupid things. Today I put dinner into the slow cooker at lunchtime, only to find I never switched it on. Last week I steamed mandarin segments instead of carrots. I'm having trouble finding the right words for things, leave the house without my phone/keys/purse all the time, and I've even left my car window open all night in a car park - luckily I live in a small village with relatively honest people so no harm was done.

Is this normal? Ordinarily, I would have been to see the GP before now, but in this current crisis, I am reluctant to both take up their time and expose myself to the possibility of infection (we've had 2 deaths here and it's only a village). On the other hand, I am struggling with this and the memory loss, in particular, is really worrying me.

I'm a single mum so don't have a partner to lean on emotionally, and I don't want to offload onto my kids too much, so I'm turning to you lovely ladies for reassurance/advice/remedies that might help.

Thank you in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Memory and doing stupid things
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 04:02:43 PM »

Yep.  All within normal limits from where I'm sitting.   We have a thread : "Doing Stupid Things" - you will find that you are in good company  ::)

I picked up the remote control to answer the land line last week  ;D - DH cleaned the pond filter/pump earlier but didn't switch it back on ..... he put sugar in his coffee instead of my tea  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:01:06 PM »

All classic signs of low oestrogen I'm afraid. Perhaps try hrt again but a different sort this time? If your gp doesn't know much about it (and many are clueless) you can ask for a referral to a menopause clinic. Most people can find something that suits them.

Leesh

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 06:43:19 AM »

Thankyou! I've been seriously upset by the memory thing, although laughing at it with the kids, it's been getting to me inwardly.

I honestly thought I was sailing through the menopause, but since the start of this year it's been awful; still not as bad (so far) as many women get it, but I think you are right, I need to go back and see the doctor.

I will have a read of that thread and console myself with the knowledge that I am in good company!