Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT - Rant  (Read 1107 times)

Yorkshire Girl

HRT - Rant
« on: May 04, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »

Hope you are all ok & lockdown not affecting you all too much!
Up until middle of Jan I was on Everol 100mg, due to HRT shortage the Dr's pharmacy prescribed me Estelle Solo 80mg (only 1 month instead of 3) which was too lower dose so cut one patch into 4 to make up to 100mg and it worked. Put in another prescription in mid Feb again was given 3 months worth of Estelle Solo 80's, as I was running out put new script in, in plenty of time. Rang surgery this morning, my prescription has not been filled and I need my HRT tomorrow! I'm annoyed as Everol 100mg is in limited supply but don't understand why they couldn't just prescribe the Estelle Solo again arrgghh. I have one of the GP's phoning me later just hope they can sort something out, but surely they have something at the pharmacy they can prescribe, why I need to speak to a Dr I have no idea. Sorry rant over.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT - Rant
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 04:05:30 PM »

Why can't they ring to let you know B4 one runs out !!!!  I had this with statins in Feb., 'cant give you any more until you've had a blood test'.  Well if you think that I am taking up valuable NHS time with a blood test when I am OK, think again.  She wouldn't budge, got the Pharmacist to phone me  >:( what a waste of time.  I won't consider a blood test until at least September!

Let us know how you get on!

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »

I've given up on the hassle with chemists.
and I was a privately online I use the gel because that's in stock and I'm getting on better with it I need less. I just can't be doing with the erratic up and down stock levels with chemists keeping my fingers crossed there is a steady supply of gel from my online pharmacy.

Bobidy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 05:46:08 PM »

Hi

I had a chat with my pharmacist and he said they could only dispense exactly what it says on the prescription. However if it's unavailable you would think they could liaise direct with the surgery to agree an alternative rather than us being the middle man taking up yet another appointment to get an alternative. There is no joined up thinking which is frustrating.

I'm going to try and swap from gel to patches for my next prescription as I can't absorb 6-8 pumps of gel per day, I'm expecting a battle and a big delay getting it dispensed.

Good luck x

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »

Update one of the Dr's rang me and the upside is that she has requested the Elleste Solo again for me.
Bobidy the surgery have their own pharmacy which is why I was annoyed, they switched it before whether that was down to the doctor or pharmacy I have no idea.

CKLD If I hadn't phoned to check heavens knows how long I would have been waiting. I only rang so I didn't have to queue, then find it wasn't ready!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 07:05:37 PM »

It isn't good enough. 

At least the Doctor did ring!

pebbles

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 07:59:14 AM »

I really feel your pain. As if we don't have enough to worry about ! Similar experience was on evorel Conti patches, had to change to klovance tablets but had side effects. Dr has given me a prescription for more patches but only one month supply - grr ! So have usual phoning round pharmacies trying to get it for one months supply ! Meanwhile have another headache/sickness. This is a disgrace , it would be easier if they just discontinued products rather than this chopping back and forward ! Sorry to steal your rant lol 😂

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:49:42 AM »

Hi

I had a chat with my pharmacist and he said they could only dispense exactly what it says on the prescription. However if it's unavailable you would think they could liaise direct with the surgery to agree an alternative rather than us being the middle man taking up yet another appointment to get an alternative. There is no joined up thinking which is frustrating.

I'm going to try and swap from gel to patches for my next prescription as I can't absorb 6-8 pumps of gel per day, I'm expecting a battle and a big delay getting it dispensed.

Good luck x

I thought the legislation or whatever governs this, was changed when the shortages first started or some while later, specifically so that pharmacists had the power to change the prescription to an equivalent without referring back to the doctor?

This was it - the serious shortages protocol
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/pharmacists-dispense-alternatives-serious-shortages-february

Maybe now that HRT supplies have been restored to some extent, perhaps some HRT has been taken off the list? Have had a quick search and can't actually find whether they are on the list or not...

Hurdity x

Bobidy

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 08:54:34 AM »

Ooooo interesting, I'll mention that to him, thanks x

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 03:34:44 PM »

No problem Pebbles
Well that's what I thought Hurdity as that's what happened for last two prescriptions!

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 03:47:22 PM »

I have my prescription :) Had to phone surgery again to check it was ready & they said allow 4 days I said it's urgent the next thing I know text from surgery to say it's ready, hubby picked it up with his - so worth chasing!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »

Result!

pebbles

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »

Hurrah ! I Phoned round pharmacies and got one months supply of evorel Conti patches ! It was the only box pharmacy had . stressful thinking about next month though.
Bonus - sickness has gone
Good luck every one

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 08:06:10 PM »

Start ringing around next week pebbles?  :medal: