Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT and gallstones  (Read 2048 times)

Julia Dizzy

HRT and gallstones
« on: April 27, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »

Hi,
Please can anyone advise on how HRT can affect your gallbladder? I was diagnosed with multiple small gallstones 5 years ago, the largest of which was 0.4cm. I have had no real previous episodes of gallbladder pain, but now do suffer with reflux and discomfort under breastbone sometimes like a burning, ****ling sensation.
I've read HRT can make gallbladder disease worse? Am wondering whether to continue with it? Not asked the Dr as don't want to mither just now with all this going on, :'( but would like to hear from anyone who has had anything like this?
I am 63 and on 2 pumps Oestrogel and utrogestan 100mg daily.
Thanks  :-\

dazned

Re: HRT and gallstones
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »

Hi I never had gallstones but whilst on HRT I ended up having to have my gallbladder removed. Whether it was related or not I don't know sorry.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »

I think the transdermal (which you are using) is best.

I have found it difficult to break through the "transdermal is only for when you have tried everything else" mentality with doctors and have a strong family history of gallstones.

I am doing my best re diet and exercise and seemed to have done ok so far.

Jeepers

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 08:16:37 PM »

Hi Julia

I'm pretty sure that the utrogestan leaflet does list gallbladder problems as a potential side effect.

-- I've just checked,and it says that gallbladder disease has been reported with other HRTs , not specifically Utrogestan

Jeepers xx
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:54:03 AM by Jeepers »

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »

Thank you ladies 🥰 I thought transdermal gel was better for you but was unsure about Utrogestan. Probably be wise to speak to GP if it doesn't settle. I guess the discomfort I'm having could be anything!!

Penelope

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »

Also next time you are at the doc have your thyroid antibodies blood test done gallbladder problems are very common with thyroid matters.