Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Menopause and insomnia - please help!  (Read 758 times)

Ellie63

Menopause and insomnia - please help!
« on: May 01, 2020, 05:02:04 PM »

Hi everyone. At the rather late age of 57 I have finally started having menopause symptoms. I had a hysterectomy 13 years ago (still got ovaries) so didn't know where I was for years as obviously no bleeding to monitor. Couple of months ago I started to wake at 5.00 a.m. every day, then I started to get hot at night, then I started waking in the night, now I find I can't even get to sleep in the first place.

My hot flushes weren't terrible, I didn't sweat, but they were obviously disruptive at night. They seem to have settled down the last couple of weeks for some strange reason. I expect I am just at the very beginning of all this and they will probably come back with a vengeance!

So at the moment I really can't sleep at all and it's horrible. The doctor has prescribed me sleeping tablets short term which I am trying not to take every night but the truth is, if I don't take them, I will literally lie awake all night.

She has offered me HRT, Estrogel at first but has phoned me today to say she made a mistake as I have had endometriosis so I need to take progesterone as well.  I am really nervous about taking HRT as my sister had breast cancer (although ok now) So I haven't started on it yet. I almost feel that I shouldn't start taking it ?just? for insomnia.

I would love to hear from others as to what helped them (if anything!) Melatonin? Magnesium? Low-dose SSRI? Should I stop faffing around with herbal teas and over the counter remedies and take the HRT?

Please help before I become a shrivelled husk of a woman!

Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause and insomnia - please help!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »

We become prunes  ::)  :welcomemm:

As for sleeping tablets - when I had to take them in the 1990s I took 1 for 3 nights and slept well.  I decided if I had difficulties after I wouldn't worry as much because the tablet worked when necessary.  I didn't need any more.  The GP had given me 5 tablets.

Ovaries can have a fling occasionally  ::)

Regardless of your sister's breast disease, this is about your quality of Life.  I suggest that you put the names of the products into the search box on here and make notes.  I thought that after hysterectomy one didn't require progesterone  :-\ sure someone will put me right.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 07:54:38 PM »

Transdermal hrt is safer than oral. The increased risk is less than if you drink, smoke or are overweight. My worst symptoms were insomnia and anxiety. I know how debilitating insomnia is, it impacts so much on how you how well you feel. It took 3 months but hrt cured it. It's a personal decision but for me quality of life was the most important factor. Sleeping pills didn't help me, I felt awful the next day.

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 09:59:19 PM »

I have had a benign breast tumour in the past.  I've still decided to take HRT, only just started, on patches.  I think someone recommended listening to a Dr Renee on you tube about this.  I think it's important everyone does their homework and it's a very personal decision, I am of the opinion (and it's an opinion and I'm not a scientist) that if something works for you then it's doing a lot of good.  And breast cancer can occur for so many different reasons and might even occur for some people because of their hormones being so out of whack.  There's evidence that not sleeping can cause breast cancer in some people (not huge evidence, and it is linked to other cancers and diabetes and heart disease too) and there's evidence that sleeping pills can do harm, maybe even be carcinogenic.  I'm just trying to say that there's so many ways of looking at it, and possibly, some bio identical hormones that your body is used to might be better for you than not sleeping or sleeping pills.  Once I started taking HRT I noticed so many improvements that I didn't even know needed improving, my concentration was better, my mental energy was better and I didn't even realise they were suffering.

But it's just another perspective, as you already know this has to be a personal decision.

Ellie63

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:01:34 AM »

Thank you very much for your replies. It is usual for women who have had their womb removed to just have oestrogen only HRT but because I have endometriosis (which is womb-lining tissue in other parts of the body) I have to have progesterone as well to protect this tissue.

You are right it is about quality of life. I still can't sleep but I think now I have got myself into a vicious cycle rather than dropping hormones preventing me from sleeping.

Thank you for mentioning Dr Renee on Youtube, she seems very sensible!

I have now been prescribed Melatonin by the doc, made me very drowsy and relaxed but still didn't drop off! Need to take it a while longer though.

Thanks again, lots to think about.