Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UTI...Thrush or VA?  (Read 1677 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: UTI...Thrush or VA?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »

It doesn't matter where you are in menopause VA has to be managed.   Repeated anti-biotics aren't the answer - it may not be the correct type for the strain of bacteria if there is a urine infection.

You need to ring your GP and ask for appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well. 'yes' will help keep the area soft but won't help with atrophy which is literal shrinkage of the tissues internally. 

These symptoms will make you feel low.  It didn't start with me until years after my final period.  ABs will help but they won't replace the oestrogen !

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 08:25:19 PM »

Thank you Suzysunday.....yep really is a nuisance......Hulahoop i agree with CLKD.....this VA malarkey is very difficult to get to grips with .....i had repeated urine infection type symptoms for over a year and think in all that time only 1 lab test came back positive .....so very distressing and really does get you down.....so many ladies on this forum have got to grips with symptoms only to have them return......just the nature of the beast i guess.....so maybe go and see your GP for a definitive diagnosis.....and hopefully the correct medication to get you on the road to feeling more yourself.....i really do sympathise 😘

Hillbilly

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »

Thanks all, I might have to bite the bullet and go but I don't want to.admit to her I took antibiotics on my own  ;D

On a different note, does the Utro leak out the next day and if so what does it look like? I now think I have thrush again  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 08:02:59 AM »

You need to be honest about any medication ........

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 09:09:06 AM »

Hulahoop......i keep thinking i have thrush too but don't think it is 😳......
If that makes sense.....VA guises itself as all sorts that's the trouble....
However i really think you need to be checked out by your GP......wouldn't worry re the antibiotics expect they have heard it all before 😂.......
xx

Kathleen

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »

Hello ladies.

I wanted to mention something that I've posted about before on the forum so please forgive me for repeating myself.

On of my science and nutrition sites quotes research showing that  the ecoli bug found in chickens has been detected in the urine of women with UTIs.  The researchers concluded that it was best to refrain from handling, cooking or eating chicken.

I seems a bit odd but eliminating chicken may be helpful. Dr Greger 's site NutritionFacts.Org has the information for anyone interested.

Wishing you well ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »

When chicken is cooked it kills Germs.  I have eaten chicken since I was small and have never thus far, been infected.

NHS: Escherichia coli (E. coli) is a type of bacteria common in human and animal intestines, and forms part of the normal gut flora (the bacteria that exist in the bowel).

There are a number of different types of E. coli and while the majority are harmless some can cause serious food poisoning and serious infection. 14 Sep 2009

Diseases or conditions caused: Urinary tract infection

Facts about E. coli -

How does a person get e coli?

Most commonly, E. coli 0157:H7 comes from eating raw or undercooked ground beef (for example, hamburger) or from drinking raw milk. The bacteria are found in animal feces, particularly cattle feces, and contact with the feces can lead to contamination of many types of food and fluids.

Nothing in the Literature about chickens.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:21:31 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 11:24:06 AM »

Chickens: NHS -

Can chicken get e coli?  - there isn't an answer other than salmonella

'coli' infections can be serious so preventing infections is important. ...

Handling or preparing food is a common source of infection. Foods should be cooked thoroughly ? and this includes chicken. However, uncooked chicken is more likely to infect you with salmonella.

How do you catch the E coli virus?

coli can cause an infection even if you ingest only small amounts. Because of this, you can be sickened by E. coli from eating a slightly undercooked hamburger or from swallowing a mouthful of contaminated pool water.

Potential sources of exposure include contaminated food or water and person-to-person .

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »

NHS 2020

Escherichia coli (E. coli) O157

About escherichia coli O157

Escherichia coli O157, sometimes called VTEC, is a bacterial infection that can cause severe stomach pain, bloody diarrhoea and kidney failure.

E. coli O157 is found in the gut and faeces of many animals, particularly cattle. It is an uncommon cause of gastroenteritis but can be caught by:

Eating contaminated food (such as raw leafy vegetables or undercooked meat). Always wash all vegetables (including salad leaves) that will be eaten raw, unless they have been pre-prepared and are labelled ?ready to eat?. Washing may reduce the risk of infection, but will not eliminate any risk of infection completely.

Touching infected animals or accidentally coming into contact with their faeces.
. there appears to be many forms of E.coli.

Hillbilly

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »

Interesting re chicken...but I actually rarely eat chicken.

Mrs Bennet, yes it does make sense! I had recurrent thrush (at least i assume i did) which included extreme swelling and redness and I was tested a few months ago as the redness and rashes wouldn't go and I still had heavy thrush type discharge...and my test came back negative  :-\ My gp said it showed the treatment had worked but now I'm wondering if it was thrush at all?

I know I need to go back but I always worry that my gp thinks I'm moaning. Plus if I have an internal she might see I'm using Utro vaginally when I was told it was supposed to be orally  ;D

I'm never done worrying  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 03:18:13 PM »

Ring and ask for VA treatment ...... you don't need an exam or blood test ;-)

Kathleen

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Hulahoop - the study I read on NutritionFacts.Org stuck in my mind because the findings seemed so bizarre.   I think the participants were followed for many months and the conclusion was that even handling chicken was a problem.  This was an unusual trial but properly conducted as I recall.

Whatever the cause of your discomfort I hope you get the right treatment and feel better soon.

Take care.

K.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 05:27:40 PM »

Oh my word Hulahoop what are you like 🤣......I worry for England too 🙄😂.....but I'm sure your GP will not hold any of it against you.....it took a long time for me to accept any sort of drug intervention i am of the opinion one size does not fit all.....and I'm one of those that seems to react  quite badly to medication.....i have tried Vagifem Estring and Ovestin the latter seeming to be the better option for me .....i also use Demavate intermittently as prescribed by gynaecologist ......the Ovestin does tend to cause more discharge for me but the Vagifem just used to fall out of my prune like vagina 😳.....i am having a blip at the moment .....pressure .....etc......but will plod on and hopefully all will come good again .....i may pop a urine test into my surgery later this week but feel almost sure that a negative result will be found .....have a read of Me and My Menapausal Vagina by Jane Lewis it is very informative and I found it really helpful ......i really feel for you  stay strong....😘😘
Pages: 1 [2]