Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UTI...Thrush or VA?  (Read 1674 times)

Hillbilly

UTI...Thrush or VA?
« on: May 01, 2020, 02:17:42 PM »

Hi all.

I am currently on Estrogel and due to start Utro tonight. At the end of last year I had genital issues;  constant thrush and am currently on 6 month course of the oral tablet. I also had a lot of genital sweating that lead to an awful rash that needed steroid cream. These have mostly cleared up.

A couple of days ago I got what I think is a uti, constant peeing, a feeling of real pressure that makes my eyes water as I finish peeing, bloating, aching stomach etc and now a real itch just inside my vagina that reminds me of thrush.
I've also had quite a lot of watery vaginal discharge, I've always suffered from discharge but it's the usual sticky stuff never really like water.

After a few searches on here I'm wondering if it's VA, is there anyone that could advise as I was in recent contact with my GP to change to Utro so I really don't want to bother her again.

Also, is it ok to use the Utro vaginally if I have this irritation as I have problems with prog and think this is the best way for me to take it?

Thank you!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: UTI...Thrush or VA?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 02:43:10 PM »

Ring the GP for appropriate vaginal treatment - nowt to lose and it should relieve symptoms.  You don't need any examination or blood tests.  VA mimics urine infection-type symptoms. 

In the mean time take pain relief regularly.  Why do these issues always occur at weekends  >:(

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 02:43:58 PM »

The watery discharge is a symptom of VA, so you need Vagifem or Ovestin. You should be able to get these via a telephone consultation with your GP. The urinary symptoms sound like a UTI and for this you would need (at least) seven days worth of ABs, don't let them fob you off with only three days. UTIs become more common with VA. They might want you to drop off a urine sample. If you are still on the oral tablets for thrush I imagine none of your symptoms can be down to that.

I'm not sure about using Vagifem or Ovestin alongside vaginal Utrogestan, but someone here will know. I'd imagine you could use the Utro at night and the Vagifem in the morning.

Please don't worry about bothering your GP, it's what they are there for and you shouldn't neglect a UTI.

Hope you get sorted soon!

JP x

Hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »

Thanks  :)

I'll have to leave it until monday now but I think it's probably a uti as my lower back is starting to ache. The awful pressure has eased a bit anyway. I'll just keep drinking loads.

It'll also give me a chance to see how I get on with the utro, I'm a bit nervous!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 04:19:58 PM »

Take some pain relief - your Surgery may be working late, ours does on a Friday.

I had to sit on the loo with a cuppa in one hand and cold water in the other - it was the way I was the most comfortable, allowing my bladder to relax and not have to hold urine.  It wasn't an infection, but VA.  The sample has to go to a Lab. so that the correct AB can be prescribed  :-\.  A dip stick shows nowt! 

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 01:46:40 PM »

Hi Hulahoop
Let us know how you get on .....i have pretty much same symptoms ....I stupidly missed an Ovestin dose and now have uti like symptoms I have had all this before .....I get pressure feeling higher up near navel for some bazaar reason....I had started to manage things really well now wallop seem to be back to square one 🙄
So annoyed with myself .....hope i can get back on track.....hope you are feeling better xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 03:09:29 PM »

That's interesting MrsB 'cos that is where it starts for me  :-\ ........ never worked out why but it is a warning  :o

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »

Oooo maybe CLKD 😳 such a nuisance ......hoping i can somehow get back to where i  was.......
All the usual at the moment burning unable to sit for too long.....having a hot water bottle on my tum......🙄 xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 07:20:17 PM »

When that happens MrsB I use two ovestin - 1 in the afternoon with nurofen as back up and another in the evening, taking nurofen 3 times the next day .  Usually eases symptoms.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »

Thank you CLKD 😘

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 08:13:43 AM »

You are welcome.  I find I have to manage VA according to how I feel ........  :-\

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 03:57:34 PM »

Think you are right....different methods / regimes work for different people it's just finding  the correct way for you .....thought i had it sussed but hey ho 🙄🤣 xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »

I need to up my ovestin for a few nights  :-\  ::) .......

suzysunday

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »

Hi Mrs Bennett, sorry to hear you are having problems again after being ok, it is such a distressing condition and that pressure feeling is awful, hope you get back on track soon. And hulahoop, hope you have something from your gp, you shouldn't have to wait all weekend.  Hope you feel better.

Hillbilly

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »

Hi.
Well the pressure/pain thing came back with a bang after easing off slightly and on saturday I could barely walk. So I found antibiotics in my cupboard, only 8, and started them, I take the last one tonight and it's really eased off.

I'll give it a couple of days and hopefully it'll be gone...but if it does go, will that mean it's not VA or does it come and go. Tbh I'm so fed up with seeing my GP after countless trips at the end of last year with recurrent thrush etc and the changes to HRT..I just want to cope on my own and deal with it myself if I can. Plus my low mood has come on again so I can't face talking to anyone  :'(

I ordered that 'yes' moisturiser, can that help with VA. Bearing in mind I'm peri, I'm thinking it might not be too bad if I do have it?
Pages: [1] 2