Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sore labia  (Read 1336 times)

Grumpymum

Sore labia
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »

I apologise to start with for my ignorance about my own body having reached 55! I have found that my labia area (external area of ?my bits? as I refer to them with my teen daughter!) is very sore and I noticed some slight bleeding on my panty liner yesterday (but none when wiping/dabbing after a wee). I'm sure it's coming from the external skin not internally. It also stings externally when I wee. I am on HRT which isn't keeping control of my symptoms generally. I don't want to bother the doctors at this time of crisis and I know they are trying to keep it to telephone consultations anyway. Is this what vaginal atrophy is? What would be the simplest solution? An over the counter remedy? Any advice gratefully received!

Joaniepat

Re: Sore labia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:41:26 AM »

Hi Grumpymum. Yes, what you describe is VA. Systemic HRT is often not enough to combat this, and you need a local oestrogen product such as Vagifem or Ovestin. Over the counter products don't contain oestrogen so are not the answer. You could explain your symptoms in a telephone consultation, it depends how enlightened the GPs are at your practice. It's worth a try if you know the bleeding is from the labia.

You could try Hydromol ointment from the chemist, to act as a barrier to urine coming in contact with the sore tissues.

JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »

Morning!  I use KY Jelly on the outer labia to keep them moist.  Or Vaseline or Savlon.  The idea is to moisten the area to stop it itchy and becoming sore.

Have a look at 'sylc' and 'yes' websites, you may get free samples ;-) and there are threads here about all of that!

Not ignorant at all. 

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »

Hi Grumpymum.  I think you'll find that many of us VA ladies started with bleeding, sore and stingy labia.  I would find blood particularly after exercising and I'm 15 years post menopause.  From there, the urethra started to ache and then the UTI's started.  Alas that's when I was dx'ed and put on Vagifem daily along with cream for outside.  Keep in mind it takes a very, very long time for Vagifem to do it's job.  Unfortunately GP's don't tell women that it could take several months for 80 to 90% better.  You need to nip VA ASAP before it gets hard to control.  As joaniepat and CLKD mentioned, you need local estrogen.  Good luck and hope you get it sorted soon.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »

Your GP may be happy to prescribe VA treatment over the phone, i was prescribed it just by giving my symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 03:14:42 PM »

Give your GP a ring and ask for vaginal atrophy treatment.  Explain that you don't require a blood test or intimate examination, that you have symptoms as discussed with friends ;-) and you will pick the treatment up to try for 3 months.  With NHS Pressures right now ....... we have to take charge sometimes  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »

Hello Grumpymum.

I developed VA within weeks of coming off HRT.  I tried various otc preparations and have now been using YesVM for about three months. This appears to be working well so far. It is available on prescription but I order mine from the pharmacy and pay for it.

Did you say that HRT is not controlling your symptoms?  HRT wasn't completely effective for me it but VA wasn't a problem until later and the vaginal moisturiser is helping.

Hope this helps you.

Take care.

K.

Grumpymum

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 08:40:39 PM »

Thank you for all comments. I have bought some Replens today and will start with that and try and speak to my GP about getting some topical estrogen.

Whatsupwiththis - thank you for your simple description of VA and it's progress, just what I needed!

Baby

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »

Yes I thought I was gonna get away with not having va but the symptons are starting. I have put an order in on a repeat prescription form at docs explaining I need vagifem as there's no way to see doc. Hopefully he will do prescription without insisting on seeing me.

jaycee

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 01:05:06 PM »

Just ring your Dr and ask for some Ovestin, that should help for soreness,
You can use it externally or internally or both,it is very moisturising and also is local oestrogen

Hillbilly

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 02:22:02 PM »

Hi Baby

Did your GP give you the prescription or did you need to see them?