Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Dreads, dooms - what does keep us awake?  (Read 772 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Dreads, dooms - what does keep us awake?
« on: April 30, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »

In the early hours?

Years ago it was work.  I was in a very busy, full on, responsible led position in a Team.  Each had a specific role so we knew our places in supporting the chain of responsibility.  I would wake in the night wondering if I had done things ........ I have a brain that, once I've done a task, it's gone and I have little recall.  Unless I make lists and tick off, I can't back track particularly well.  Those lists were at work  ::) so I had to have a notebook by the bed so that I could jot down work worries.

Over the years it's been various issues.  Pet care, pet illnesses, pet departures.  His family, my family.  Now it's Mum [see my thread] so I am having to step back.  At 3.00 a.m. this morning I managed to accept that she is trying to push buttons and for my health and marriage, I have to not answer the 'phone for a while.  She is in a care home, 2 hours drive away and with lockdown, we can't visit anyway.

Other times, I am simply awake.  That's when I read, plan my garden, plan my gardening shopping list  ;D

Shell babes

Re: Dreads, dooms - what does keep us awake?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »

I know what you mean. Our sleep cycles do change with age and can be disrupted by menopause. In the old days I would mainly sleep through but if I woke (which was a rarity), I would look at the clock and thing ?Great, I've got three more hours of delicious sleep, turn over and go back to sleep.  Now is the total opposite and it's hard to find an answer. Once the thought process starts, it's hard to switch off.  All the sleep hygiene says to write the worries down and then you can 'deal with them in the morning.? If I wake in the early hours tonight, I'm going to try to switch off, if only there was an on/off switch, it would be so easy! My husband can just switch off, he puts everything into boxes and away for the night when he's falling asleep. Not a lot you can do CLKD if lockdown is upon us regarding travelling etc even with the best will in the world.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »

Don't want to visit with her right now ;-)

DH is the same.  Head to pillow, zonked  ;D

marge

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 06:46:57 AM »

Many and various things CLKD; why do our imaginations go into overdrive in the wee hours? But, like you, l plan my garden. Very ambitious ideas at 3am which are not so realistic when it comes to it!