Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Worrying telephone conversation with doctor  (Read 955 times)

Mintea

Worrying telephone conversation with doctor
« on: May 19, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »

I stopped taking oestrogel and utrogestan 7 weeks ago due to 2 episodes of heavy bleeding. I was referred for a TVS which was ok but my GP felt out of her depth with my questions and referred me to a gynecologist. I had a telephone conversation which was really unhelpful and he said it wasnt natural for women to take hormones!
Having had these experiences and with the current covid 19 situation (shielding partner and depressed daughter)I have not had the energy to do much else. Yesterday I went to renew my prescription online for vagifem and ovestin and to my horror
they had been taken off the repeat prescription request page  :o

I put a custom request in and the next day had a call from one of the doctors.
She said they weren't sure if I was taking the oestrogel as if I was 'they wouldn't want me to be taking that and the vagifem/ovestin - we wouldn't want you to be taking too much estrogen' . I said, actually you can if needed but she wasnt listening and I didnt feel up to putting a case forward.

I find it so annoying that GPs come out with these ignorant statements and that they dont read the NICE guidelines. It puts women at such a disadvantage when trying to get help from them.

Anyway, she agreed to prescribe them again. I also asked her to refer me to the nearest menopause clinic which she has agreed to as well. I only wish this had been done to start with.

I would like to find a way of taking HRT that works for me. I dont fancy a coil fitted although this seems a good way of getting the progesterone element but am thinking a long cycle might be best. I know you get a bleed but if getting it on conti, not much difference except a longer time without progesterone. I didnt realise all this was going to be so difficult.

What do others think? Am I silly at my age (61 yrs and 6 years post menopause) to be considering hrt? Should I just forget it and take the natural route?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Worrying telephone conversation with doctor
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 09:40:47 AM »

Not silly, this is about Quality of Life!  Again, the Menopause Society ain't getting through to their GPs!!! despite what we are told.

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary?  A gynaecologist won't know any more than a GP about menopause, they tend to whip out wombs without a thought as to what will happen to the lady following surgery!

Let us know how you get on with the Menopause Clinic.  Keep that diary to take along and in the mean time, mayB decide which symptom you would like to ease first.

Mintea

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 10:17:07 AM »

Thanks CLKD

Good idea about the diary. I think I'll do that.

I originally asked the dr for a referral to a menopause clinic but she said the only option was to a gynaecologist at a private health hospital who take on NHS work as well. They stated they did menopause work.  Although feeling very wary and doubtful about this I decided to keep an open mind and agreed to it. However it didn't turn out well. I just hope he didnt get a big fee from the NHS for the consultation with me as not at all helpful.

It was only after doing further research that I found a BMS menopause clinic not too far away. I rang them and they said they were taking referrals from my area but had to be direct from doctor. You would think my GPs would have known this wouldnt you and not have to be told by me!!

Mintea x

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 08:24:38 PM »

Mintea could it be your GP et al are more concerned about HRT after 60?  Seems that is the magical cut off date.  Don't pay attention to the sufferer just pay attention to what the guidelines say.  Well I say B.S.  As CLKD often mentions..QUALITY VS QUANTITY.  This is not a difficult concept to understand.  Some Dr.'s makes you kinda wonder.

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 11:06:05 PM »

I don't think many Drs are too worried now about prescribing HRT after 60, except they prefer you to have patches and not pills
I was re prescribed it at 72, and lots of ladies are still on HRT in their 80s