Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello from a new forum member....requesting advice  (Read 943 times)

Ruth CA

Hello from a new forum member....requesting advice
« on: April 24, 2020, 08:28:25 AM »

Hello all, thanks for accepting me onto the forum, I'm very new to all this, thanks for your patience!

I'm after some advice regarding where am I on this 'perimenopause rollercoaster' I'm 53, have had a few tingling arm/hand problems, sore knees (but I do run and play hockey a lot), not on any form of HRT (and I'm determined to keep that way as I have a feeling my weight will be affected big time), keeping the weight off with lots of exercise and good food choices, had 24 months of wibbly-wobbly periods and the last 3 months none at all.....Up until the last 3 months I'd also never had flushes (day or night although my sleep has been disrupted for 18-24 months), so I'm wondering if this is linked and a sign that I'm heading to the light at the end of the tunnel?

I know the boffins/drs say perimenopause becomes menopause once you've not had a period for 12 months and it's a different journey for all women but has anyone else had experience of other signs that suggest they are nearing the end of the 'perimenopause rollercoaster'? I can't ask my mum about her experiences as she had a hysterectomy early before she started her own 'perimenopause rollercoaster' naturally.
thanks for any info.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello from a new forum member....requesting advice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »

Hi! each journey is individual.  Mine periods waxed and waned for years then stopped.  I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years though, in case  ::) and for years after, I would get period pains and think "Not after all this time!"

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress.  You could have carpal tunnel syndrome in the arms/hands, it happens in pregnancy so can be related to hormonal upheaval. 

As oestrogen levels drop so the muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Over the counter pain relief should suffice.  Also the body may become dry, inside and out  :o : skin, scalp, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina - do read our threads on the latter!  Make notes  ;)

Ruth CA

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »

Thanks so much for the reply CLKD, so, it s a 'day at a time ? approach that's needed? Ho hum, it is what it is. Living almost on the equator with heat and humidity doesn't help with the flushes....I never truly know if I'm just stinking hot or having a flush  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »

Oh do tell: where in the World - ish - we have sunshine and warm weather in the UK right now.

It really is trial and error.  I knew I was entering The Change ........ fortunately no awful symptoms.  You'll know if you are stinking hot 'cos the cat/dog/lizards will crawl away  ;)

Some find that they feel queasy prior to a flush or light headed.  When I had them briefly at night, it was an all over glow  ::)

alison1210

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 11:00:51 AM »

HI everyone - I wanted to post a message to encourage other people who may be stuggling with initial side effects of elleste duet - I have now been on them for four months BUT nearly stopped because the insomnia was so bad on the 'green' tablets!!  It was pretty dreadful the first two months.  I took advice to persevere and I am so glad I did - I did 'cheat' a bit on the second month and only took one green every other day though...I have not had any insomnia at all last moth or this month, if anything sleeping better than ever.  I'm 49 and so I was experiencing the perimenopause and the HRT has really helped to get me back to normal.  I also cut down on caffeine - as apparently taking hormones can affect your ability to process caffeine.
Anyway, just hope this helps someone else.  It's tough between the symptoms and side effects!! Just Keep going and try not to give up.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »

:thankyou: alison1210 .........