Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT after a month  (Read 895 times)

Suzysheb

Stopping HRT after a month
« on: April 26, 2020, 09:41:55 AM »

Hello ladies
I need to stop oestrogel. I've been taking it for a month and I know that I'm having really bad reaction to it ( my bits have bloated up and I'm in constant agony) I've reduced my dose and they are better today. If I come off altogether how will I feel? Worried 😟 please please help xx

shoppingqueen

Re: Stopping HRT after a month
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »

Hi Suzysheb
I'm sorry to hear you are in such discomfort. So much so that you feel you need to stop your HRT.
How many pumps have you been put on and is this your first go at HRT?
In my experience, it takes up to 3 months for any side effects to slide away- usually know by this point if they?re not going to. Not to say you'd feel this way for the full 3 months.
I think with all hormone treatments (I have an underactive thyroid and am on Levothyroxine) it takes time for the system to re tune. I found I just had to sit it out with the Levo and HRT.
If it's unbearable though, could you contact GP for phone consultation?
I've just moved from tablets to gel only one week in and feel that bloated feeling like I have put half a stone on in a week and breasts feel full and like they are growing 
Anyway, I had this when I started a couple of different oral preps in the past and it did eventually all go back to normal.
Mind you, I am eating like a horse under this lockdown! Could be that? 
I'm sure some more estrogel experienced ladies will be along to help xx
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:23:09 PM by shoppingqueen »

shoppingqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »

Hi again
I realise you have a similar thread on here and I'd just have to reiterate the advice shared there- it really is early days a month in.
Your only alternative is to stop and see what happens, drop dose say to 1 pump per day for a week, then one pump alternate days for a week etc
Keep a diary to track symptoms and then review??
As you are fearful of what will happen if you stop, is this because of previous severe Meno symptoms returning or are you worried about a bad reaction?
What symptoms led you to trial HRT?
it's a balancing act.
I gained some weight with my first treatment- just felt a bit chunky although I'm quite a small build- but honestly, for me it was a very small price to pay as my symptoms had been debilitating. My build returned to normal within a few weeks- it was just an initial reaction. But I didn't have any pain or discomfort.
Many of the ladies here have topical estrogen for vaginal symptoms as stated in the other thread- good advice to get this checked out first maybe?
Xx

Suzysheb

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »

Hello ladies
I am not very good at replying on this forum.

thank you for your replies.  I also have thrush, which I think is a result of the Oestrogel.  I'm scared to stop in case it makes my symptoms worse.  do you think I will get an effect after only a month taking it?

shoppingqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »

Hi again
Some people will start to feel impact without a doubt- it builds up reserves in system over time and a sustained dose keeps everything topped up- hence why we need to be patient- a bit of a waiting game to be honest. For example, I'm only a week in to Gel only with daily Utrogestan and I'm feeling not brilliant but I've just got to bite the bullet and stick with it.
I was topping up with one pump to my 2/10 Femoston- which I've now stopped- and trialling 2 pumps of gel for the first couple of months or so. If after this, I feel I'm not getting enough, I may well increase to 3 but will be checking in with GP before that!
If you get the thrush addressed this could help those vaginal symptoms? I'd be tempted to address this first before dropping the gel. Just my opinion of course! Xx

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 12:37:51 PM »

Hi Suzysheb,
I've been on 2 pumps estrogel and 100mg utrogestan daily since last October (only started at age 63 due to hot flushes never going away, joint pain, anxiety, reflux, VA etc etc)....and I got a bad bout of thrush a couple of months later, so I had to have a full weeks course of flucanozole from the GP. I also use Vagifem every third night, but think maybe need more??
If you are under 60 you can just buy the 1 capsule oral thrush treatment online, Flucanozole 150mg I think it is, chemist wouldn't sell it to me, said I was too old (??!!) so had to see GP instead, so annoying.
I did stop the HRT for 3 weeks til the thrush cleared up and then went back on it, so far it hasn't recurred thankfully. I've had fuller breasts with some discomfort and still waiting to feel like a new woman, so far not happening but hot flushes are improved!! Hoping to try FemSeven conti patches when they are available again. Its all a minefield!! ??? Hope you get on with it all ok x