Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Coming off cerazette and menopause  (Read 1420 times)

SandraP

• First Flush
Coming off cerazette and menopause
« on: May 06, 2020, 06:48:39 PM »

Hello

I'm just 55 and have been on cerazette for 10 years due to increasingly painful periods and short cycles.  I've been period free ever since until last year when blood tests indicated I was in menopause so I stopped taking it.  However my periods returned and I agreed with my GP that I would stay on for another year.  Roll on 12 months, I stopped taking it and now 5 weeks later there has been no bleeding but I have been suffering what feels like menstrual cramping on and off over the last couple of weeks.  Has anyone had any experience of coming off cerazette and the side effects?  Is this just my hormones settling down?  Of course I may be just building up to a period, but any insight would be appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: Coming off cerazette and menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 08:38:47 AM »

Hi Sandra P

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your issues. Unfortunately blood tests can't determine your menopausal status ie if you are post-menopause as they vary a lot.

It does sound like you could be building up to a period. As it is only 5 weeks since you came off the mini pill it's too early to say so I would suggest keep an eye on it if it feels like normal caramps. However if you are worried about the pain then do consult your doctor. Also at 55 most women have reached menopause but a sizeable minority haven't. If your periods do retunr then do monitor them - how long your cycle is, how heavy the flow is etc and be sure to talk to your doc again if they seem to be heavy or frequent in case you have somethng like fibroids etc.

Short cycles are typical of the last stage before peri-menopause. Was the reason for your heavy periods investigated 10 years ago when you first started cerazette?

Hurdity x