Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help - HRT and breastfeeding  (Read 2847 times)

Ziggyfairy

Help - HRT and breastfeeding
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:34:35 PM »

Hi everyone - I'm hoping I can find someone with a similar experience so that I can ask advice!

I had premature ovarian failure and was on HRT for a couple of years before I had my donor egg baby girl four months ago. I've been breastfeeding her but my menopause symptoms are now so bad that I really want to go back on HRT. My doctor hasn't a clue as to whether or not I can breastfeed AND use my Evorel Conti patches.

Does anyone know? Thank you!

Taz2

Re: Help - HRT and breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 02:15:47 PM »

Hi ziggyfairy. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.  :congrats:

I've checked the patient information leaflet online and you are not allowed to use Evorel Conti while pregnant or breastfeeding. I'm sorry. Which Meno symptoms are you experiencing?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Ziggyfairy

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 02:48:57 PM »

Oh no . . . thanks for checking that for me, I'm really gutted. I don't know what to do now.

I'm having horrendous night sweats - I wake up absolutely dripping with sweat, hot flushes that make me feel almost claustrophobic, and terrible mood swings that honestly may result in a divorce if I don't get myself under control!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 04:20:41 PM »

You have had a baby, may there be a degree of post natal depression too?  Do ring your Midwife and discuss?  Also see if there is another way of delivering the HRT - perhaps a Pharmacist would know?

:congrats: :cake:  we haven't had a baby here for ages   :hapij:

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 04:53:59 PM »

If you've already given your baby four months of breastfeeding then maybe you need to consider your own health? You want to be able to enjoy your baby and if that means you having to stop breastfeeding in order to restart HRT and feel so much better then, to me, that seems the way to go.

Taz x

Ziggyfairy

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »

Awww thank you for the congratulations, both of you, and for replying. In spite of the uncomfortable physical stuff, I do feel like the luckiest woman in the world, I really didn't think I'd be able to have a baby! I'm so grateful to my egg donor for making it possible.

I did wonder if postnatal depression was a possibility but my gut feeling is no. I feel exactly the way I did before I started the HRT so I reckon that's the way forward. I felt much better, more like myself, on it (before I started all the IVF drugs etc.) I could probably cope with the low mood but it's the unpleasant physical symptoms that are really affecting me.

I've researched natural alternatives but it seems they?re not compatible with breastfeeding either.

I think I may need to stop breastfeeding - I do want to enjoy these precious few months with the baby, and life is difficult and stressful at the moment as it is.

Eagle87

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »

Hi I'm on 4 pumps estrogel prescribed by proff studd and I'm exclusively breastfeeding

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »

Quality of Life?   Would I be right in thinking if New Mummy is stressed she won't let her milk down as easily?  So enjoy these few weeks of nursing and then wean off so that you can take necessary HRT?

Baby won't know ;-). Lots of cuddles and if the flushes are eased, you can both enjoy them. 

Ziggyfairy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 07:13:47 PM »

That's interesting, Eagle - so just oestrogen? No progesterone component!

I'd JUST got into the groove of breastfeeding - it took a while, as the baby had an undiagnosed tongue tie and reflux, so it's upsetting that things have gone so awry with me now. But I do want a better quality of life - things are a bit grim at the minute. I do really need my HRT :-(

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 07:38:34 PM »

What about the mini pill that they give moms who are breastfeeding, that would help for the hormone levels?

Eagle87

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 11:06:32 PM »

That's interesting, Eagle - so just oestrogen? No progesterone component!

I'd JUST got into the groove of breastfeeding - it took a while, as the baby had an undiagnosed tongue tie and reflux, so it's upsetting that things have gone so awry with me now. But I do want a better quality of life - things are a bit grim at the minute. I do really need my HRT :-(

I'm meant to take 7 days of utrogestsn every month but I can't handle it due to severe progesterone intolerance so I just taken estrogel since November I taken 7 days utrogestsn in Feb 2 days in March 1 day in April and now I need to come off estrogel because of progesterone intolerance

I started estrogel when my son was 3 weeks and he's almost 6 months now only breastfed no formula and he's perfectly fine and really Goof weight gain

Lyncola

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 02:36:44 AM »

Hi Ziggyfariy

Change to baby formula, both of my girls were bottle feed and are now 23 and 25 years old, and I have no regrets. And my husband did all the night time feeds plus a lot of days, which was a great bonding experience for him. I think the reason I did not cope with breast feeding is that I had post natal depression, I feel you would know if you had it.

Interesting with tongue tie, I was born with it, had an operation when I was two. Still had to go to a speech therapist, I've had speaking problems my whole life. I don't say this to scare you, I mean I speak well, but there is certain words I just can't get my tongue around. I've lived my whole life with someone making fun of me because I can say something correctly. I just tell them it's not my fault, I was born with tongue tie. A lot of people don't know what that is. I wish my parents kept up with the speech therapy, I was lucky I did 6 lessons in it, and then I only went because the speech therapist who was treating my sister pick up on it with me. And no my sister had no tongue tie, I think she was there because the school sent her.

Anyway look after yourself and go on HRT, you have given your baby girl 4 months of breast milk so don't feel bad.

:tulips2:
Lyncola

Ziggyfairy

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 05:17:17 PM »

I've made the momentous decision to wind down breastfeeding and go back on HRT! I feel sad but relieved at the same time, it was a hard decision to make but now that I have, I feel a lot of pressure has lifted. Plus I have a huge stash of frozen breastmilk that should last another 2-3 weeks so that eases my conscience a little.

Thank you so much for sharing advice and experiences!

Lyncola

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »

Good luck to you Ziggyfariy, enjoy your baby,  they grow up far too quick  :)

Foxylady

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »

Hi Ziggyfairy, you maybe have already looked but the breastfeeding network is great and highly recommended for BF mums and professionals. It has factsheets in relation to medications/alcohol etc when breatsfeeding. They also have support staff who are highly trained volunteers and can give you advice/support. Failing that your health visitor should be able to contact your local infant feeding support nurse for advice. All the best, what a time you have had of it. xx