Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estradot dose & Cystic Acne  (Read 1042 times)

Ginga

Estradot dose & Cystic Acne
« on: April 13, 2020, 10:11:39 PM »

Hi All, (new here)
Not sure if this the right spot to post? I've searched heaps & gave up sorry.

I started Estradot this year, tried several dose levels by testing 25's (over 4weeks), starting at 25 for a week, then 50, then 75, by adding additional patches to change dose levels & checking symptoms. This was not consented by my GP though. I just found that there was no change on 25, real benefit on 50 but feel asleep on patch change over day, till finally 75 seemed to be the dose level for me. GP then prescribed 75 patches. I've been  happily using the actual 75s for 2 months. Except a month ago chronic cystic acne broke out like never before which is so disfiguring and painful, with spider veins too, but only on my face. So I had two months on patches and no side effects at all. The acne struck in month 3.

Point to note is that a month ago when on 75 (when acne started) I had also tapered off a migraine medication that was known to interact with and reduce the affects of Estradot. This medication is Topomax (epilepsy/migraine medication). Strangely Topomax is known to cause chronic cystic acne but which I never had for the 1.5yrs on it, just perfect skin. (Yes there's a Topomax/Epilepsy chat room/website but no one as reported getting acne coming off Topomax and many have dropped it due to the chronic acne).

So I want to ask if anyone else has suffered painful cystic acne on Estradot or on high (for them) eostrogen dose?
Am I now getting too much oestrogen? So should I lower my dose?
Yes I will be calling my GP to discuss my dosing too, I've never had acne like this in decades. But I'm loving Estradot. Plus kiwi GPs want you on the lowest dose asap like 25 or 50. Any advice?

Many Thanks & Kia ora. Kia kaha.
Age 50 (51 in July)
Hysterectomy - ovaries kept at 47
Elective due to chronic cyclic migraines, constant periods that worsened my IBS.
Perimenopause symptoms for 6+yrs
Blood test confirmed 3 months ago that I was not post menopausal yet as oestrogen levels still high.

Taz2

Re: Estradot dose & Cystic Acne
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »

Hi. Welcome!

Sorry to hear of your skin problem. Have you been properly diagnosed with cystic acne? I only ask as I have developed pustule papular rosacea which is only on the face and includes spider veins. The condition can give a similar appearance though the pustules don't leave scars like acne does. I haven't found a link with HRT and it is just seen as a skin condition which can develop especially between 40 and 60 in both men and women. I have a low dose antibiotic to try to control mine though the spider veins need laser treatment I'm afraid. It might be worth reading up on it if you haven't been actually diagnosed with acne.

Hope this helps.

Taz x  :) :welcomemm:

Ginga

Re: Estradot dose & Cystic Acne
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:46:17 PM »

Thanks Taz2,
Dr. has confirmed it is cystic acne.
She is now giving me Estradot 25 patches so that I can drop to Estradot 50 & further down to 25 if needed. Plus retinol acne cream and antibiotics.

Topomax reduces the affect of Estrogen, so when I was on Topomax we had to counteract its effect on Estradot by having me on a higher dose. Now I'm not on Topomax I don't need to take so much Estradot.

Stay Safe,
Nga mihi,
Ginga