Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anyone get private prescriptions for Utrogestan...?  (Read 930 times)

Clovie

Anyone get private prescriptions for Utrogestan...?
« on: April 14, 2020, 02:34:21 PM »

...and get the oestrogen element from their own GP?

Thanks for any answers, I'm not sure how private prescriptions work or if you can get one part of HRT from different sources.

Thanks

Jeepers

Re: Anyone get private prescriptions for Utrogestan...?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »

Yes, I do.

I have a repeat prescr for both on the nhs, but my surgery more often than not messes up the prescription ( this has been since way before the pandemic), so I often end up messaging my clinic for a private prescription.. expensive , but hey, what can you do? Especially now

Good luck

Jeepers xx

Clovie

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:04:32 PM »

Stellajane - Yes. Our local Health Authority is now saying Utrogestan is not safe to use!! .  ( They say that, but it is absolutely a money saving exercise by our particular Health Authority).  Even though a GP can over ride the recommendations and prescribe it our head GP is saying no no no. 
I was getting on fine with Utrogestan and Estrogel, I cannot use any other type of progesterone as I've tried synthetic progesterones and they have hellish unbearable side effects  :'(
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:08:08 PM by Clovie »

Clovie

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 04:08:59 PM »

Yes, I do.

I have a repeat prescr for both on the nhs, but my surgery more often than not messes up the prescription ( this has been since way before the pandemic), so I often end up messaging my clinic for a private prescription.. expensive , but hey, what can you do? Especially now

Good luck

Jeepers xx

Hi Jeepers.
Thanks for your reply - I've just sent you a personal message x

Clovie

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 06:23:58 AM »

That's ridiculous Clovie - so they'll happily prescribe you a progesterone you can't tolerate but not one that suits you?  >:(

Have you asked for a referral to a menopause clinic?

Yes they would. even though I've spelled it out over and over how synthetic progs affect me in letters practically BEGGIng them
And yes, the surgery sent me to a NHS Meno clinic here in Scotland who just backed the surgery up. No chance whatsoever, point blank refused me Utrogestan :( :(  Thing is, I've been through all this already and was eventually prescribed Utrogestan after hellish times on other progs by a NHS meno clinic in Wales when I lived there before we moved here.

I feel so helpless and powerless and I'm slipping into depression, I can feel it.

Clovie

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 06:29:34 AM »

I can't believe how badly you?re being treated! They?re bending the truth to suit their financial goals and denying you the treatment you?re entitled to in the process!
I'd be threatening them if I were you. You can report that sort of nonsense! How dare they!

Birdy - that is PRECISELY what they are doing!
I have begged, and begged for this stuff back.But no no no. Yet FOUR NHS doctors have now suggested I get a private prescription for it!?!?
But I thought it was so terrible for me, so dangerous?? How come you are telling me to get it privately then?  Ah yes, that's right. Because I would have to PAY for it  ;)
The whole thing stinks   and I'm so very upset about it all!  :(
What if I had no money at all to spare??? Doesn't bear thinking about does it?

About to write a letter of complaint but not sure of my rights in Scotland.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »

Hi Clovie

I am so sorry you are still struggling with all of this and really sorry there is nothing I can do to help right now, as Dr Currie's service has been suspended. I find it hard to believe that the docs are still insisting you can't have it and are saying it's not safe. We went through all of this before. It's a licensed medicine throughout UK and there have been members of this forum who say they are able to get it in Scotland, and docs can override the recommendations of the lower authorities at their discretion when in the best interest of the patient.

I think you should continue to fight your corner and especially when NHS is less stretched and when you feel up to it, but in the meantime I would just ask for Oestrogel and Provera and get the utrogestan privately if this is not expensive (can't believe I'm saying this but in the absence of being able to get it through NHS Scotland for the time being). Once you've got the prescription (for the oestrogel) make sure you tell them what you've done. They have to prescribe you the oestrogel with the provera but can't make you take it.

The other possibility is to self refer by telephone to an English clinic. This would have to be privately but it might be cheaper at the moment due to Covid-19 and get a private prescrption that way. Is it possible also to contact your old practice from when you lived in England too, to confirm what your prescription was then?

Just a few ideas to be going on with. I really feel for you Clovie. This has been going on too long but hang in there.

:bighug:

Hurdity xx

Clovie

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 06:18:01 AM »

Hi Clovie

I am so sorry you are still struggling with all of this and really sorry there is nothing I can do to help right now, as Dr Currie's service has been suspended. I find it hard to believe that the docs are still insisting you can't have it and are saying it's not safe. We went through all of this before. It's a licensed medicine throughout UK and there have been members of this forum who say they are able to get it in Scotland, and docs can override the recommendations of the lower authorities at their discretion when in the best interest of the patient.

I think you should continue to fight your corner and especially when NHS is less stretched and when you feel up to it, but in the meantime I would just ask for Oestrogel and Provera and get the utrogestan privately if this is not expensive (can't believe I'm saying this but in the absence of being able to get it through NHS Scotland for the time being). Once you've got the prescription (for the oestrogel) make sure you tell them what you've done. They have to prescribe you the oestrogel with the provera but can't make you take it.

The other possibility is to self refer by telephone to an English clinic. This would have to be privately but it might be cheaper at the moment due to Covid-19 and get a private prescrption that way. Is it possible also to contact your old practice from when you lived in England too, to confirm what your prescription was then?

Just a few ideas to be going on with. I really feel for you Clovie. This has been going on too long but hang in there.

:bighug:

Hurdity xx

Thanks Hurdity.

Yes, We have written THREE letters now, sent them prints of all the links that were provided including the one saying Utrogestan was as effective as other progs but was not as economically viable or words to that effect. In these letters I have gone into GREAT detail on how this is affecting my mental health, and I have virtually begged and begged and pleaded explaining I cannot take any alternatives. My husband has also spoken to the head GP on the phone at great length but all in vain!  He was at first not happy with the way I was was taking it and one of his GPs wanted me to take it continuously. I even offered to trial it that way as suggested - but still no.
He is hiding behind the Scottish Medicines Consortium every time even though when questioned or told a fact such as he is ABLE to over ride the recommendation he refuses and quotes the SMC as he has NO arguments against our valid points!
It is unbelievable!!
I really cannot believe I am being treated so very very unfairly.

Next step, as we have only got a reply to our latest letter 2 days ago, is to go down the complaints route.
This man is very clearly putting money above his patient's health. And I cannot say I can trust his surgery for future health implications if this is his attitude :( And his suggestion that at 56 I should be coming off it anyway is ludicrous!  I hope any woman HE cares about never comes up against a dinosaur GP like him in the future!!  >:(

I am going to ask for Estrogel and Provera in the meantime. I don't see why I should have to pay for the gel as well! :(

Roadrunner

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 06:56:25 PM »

Yes I had to pay privately for utrogestan. My CCG doesn't approve its use as HRT, so although my GP was supportive she was not able to prescribe it.

RR xx