Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: next best alternative to Utrogestan for someone who is progesterone intolerant ?  (Read 1050 times)

Clovie

Hi. please someone help me if they can...

I had my Utrogestan stopped due to it 'not being safe to use' in my health authority (despite it being Ok everywhere else! :(  LONG story , I'm not happy about it ) )
Because I had the utrogestan stopped I also had my estrogel stopped.

We are raising a complaint about this whole sorry ordeal, virtually begged in letters and STILL my GP surgery explaining how I have been proven to be severely progesterone intolerant and the grave effect all this is having on my mental health, and STILL denied it by head GP of practice who refuses to override the recommendations even though he could for progesterone intolerant women! Thank god for my hubby who is fighting my corner and taking this further as I am emotionally completely drained and have no joy in any aspect of my life any more. I came off HRT for an operation recently and was plunged into brutal hellish symptoms so I still very much need it and Utrogestan is the ONLY progesterone I can tolerate.
He suggested to my hubby on the phone that as I am 56 I should be thinking of coming off HRT by now anyway!!! My maternal side female relatives ALL had menopause symptoms right to the end of their lives.  That's outrageous that he use sweeping statements like that about women  :'   I know for a fact that stopping Utrogestan is a money saving exercise for my HA and not for safety reasons as I've now had FOUR NHS doctors suggest I get a private prescription for it!?!? ???)

Anyway, this raising complaints business will all take time and whilst I've been able to buy Utrogestan from an online pharmacy Dr at a price, I do not understand WHY the oestrogen has been stopped as there is no issue with oestrogel , why do I have to buy that privately as well, costing me even more money it should not have to?

My question is, what would you ask the Gp for in the meantime?  Estrogel and which progesterone? I know there are no other bioidentical progs but I need SOMEthing!  :'(  I know it will plunge me into very very dark places if I use it though.  I will just have to keep buying the Utrogestan as long as the online doc will allow me.  Will the Dr prescribe the gel if I can prove I can buy the utrogestan? Or do I have to buy BOTH myself? 

Sorry for the rambling but I'm so upset  :'(

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:35:27 PM by Clovie »

Clovie

Could anyone help with this please? Thanks for reading. I'm desperate :(

Dotty

Hi Provera is an alternative to Utrogestan or Mirena coil x

sheila99

Which HA are you in? I know there are problems in Scotland but in England and Wales it should be a level playing field, that's what the NICE guidelines are for. In normal circumstances I'd say change your doctor and ask for a referral to a menopause clinic.
 Might be worth a look at the NICE guidelines, if they say you can use it for HRT it will be harder for your ha to refuse. Also worth pointing out that they used to say you should stop HRT at 60 but they don't anymore.  I'm not sure you can force your gp to prescribe oestrogen but definitely worth taking evidence you've bought your own prog and making a complaint.

Clovie

Which HA are you in? I know there are problems in Scotland but in England and Wales it should be a level playing field, that's what the NICE guidelines are for. In normal circumstances I'd say change your doctor and ask for a referral to a menopause clinic.
 Might be worth a look at the NICE guidelines, if they say you can use it for HRT it will be harder for your ha to refuse. Also worth pointing out that they used to say you should stop HRT at 60 but they don't anymore.  I'm not sure you can force your gp to prescribe oestrogen but definitely worth taking evidence you've bought your own prog and making a complaint.

Thanks for your reply, my HA is  NHS Lothian , Sheila.
My husband is making a complaint for me as I am drained and weepy and upset.
Thing is I can't just say 'to hell with it, I don't need HRT' because I absolutely do.
i had to come off it 3 months ago because of surgery and my menopause symptoms were much worse than they were when I first took HRT. I could not function without HRT.  This doctor knows that yet still says no....