Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 630 times)

Lynne50OA

• First Flush
Weight loss
« on: April 12, 2020, 04:16:51 PM »

Hi. I'm 53, post menopause, on HRT, and have put on soo much weight. I used to be 8/10 now I'm a 14+. Seen many suggestions about how to loose weight. Does anyone have any info on how to do it properly and keep it off. It's now affecting all aspects of my life.
Many thanks xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weight loss
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »

Hi! Weight Watchers?   Many years ago my very heavy soon-2-B mother-in-Law did a scheme where everything that she would eat was weighted the night B4 and put onto saucers, i.e. when the daily butter saucer was empty, that was it for that day.  It worked for her and she kept it off.  She worked hard all her life, bringing up children, cooking, cleaning in the house as well as running an allotment and fruit picking.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »

Hello Lynne500A and welcome to the forum.

I often bang on about the health benefits of eating a whole foods plant based diet (sorry to be repeating myself ladies). The thing about this way of eating is that there is no weighing of food or working out points etc, unwanted calories are carried away by the food itself in the form of fibre. The other thing to bear in mind is that you can eat as many  satisfying, comforting foods as you like for example potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, wholemeal pasta.

I realise the above may seem a bit whacky and of course lots of people have other ideas and  opinions on the subject. If you wanted to find out more there is a lot of information online. The best book I've found is The Starch Solution by Dr John McDougall.

I wish you good luck whatever method you decide to try.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 05:43:25 PM »

You repeat Kathleen - it's about sharing experiences and info for others to consider. 

Let us know how you get on Lynne?

Mogster71

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »

Hi Lynne

I think it depends on a lot of factors really. What's your diet and exercise like now? Are you disciplined? Do you like cooking from scratch? Do you need something easy to follow or just sensible advice? The old adage of eating less and moving more may be all you need.

Scientifically you need to burn off more than you are taking in, so if you can find out your resting metabolic rate, (based on your height, weight and activity level). This will tell you how many calories you need to sustain your current weight, and then to lose/gain. You can then work out a little meal plan - breakfast, lunch, dinner, + 2 healthy snacks in between. Keep an eye on portion sizes (like CLKD says, weighing is key).

Finding something that you like to do to keep active, even if it's brisk walking. Not easy to get involved with group activities or group weight watchers at the moment however I expect they are still doing things on line! There are also loads of exercise videos on Youtube you can take a look at to see what grabs you - I've done a few beginner low impact HIIT classes, which are about 7 mins!

Just my twopenneth - this is how I would do it if I was aiming to lose. I'm sure others will be along soon! Welcome to the group by the way x