Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Un-necessary media reports?  (Read 4238 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Un-necessary media reports?
« on: April 10, 2020, 05:50:09 PM »

Does any1 else feel that all this outdoor reporting: from beaches, outside Hospitals, showing how Cities are empty : is a non-essential journey  :-\ ?  I'm sick of seeing journalists and police walking along beaches which are supposedly empty, showing us how it 'should' be at the same time telling us that we are allowed to exercise.  Well no, journalists and associated camera crews should not be standing outside Hospitals ......... if they want 2 issue an update on Boris it can be sent to Matt Hancock for release at 5.00 p.m.!

Also, that MP who travelled from London to see his parents in Shropshire as they needed food and medicines then went to Herefordshire to join his family ....... again, 1 rule for them and we are being told otherwise .  A 40 mile journey is not essential, when the public are being told not to travel more than 5 miles from home?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

CLKD

Re: Un-necessary media reports?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 06:58:48 PM »

that was stated early on a news report regarding the mass grave ......... not the best place to end up though, looks like an old industrial site  :-\

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 09:00:55 AM »

I don't listen to the news anymore,they LOVE this sort of thing,endless reports of all the deaths from apparent covid,yet how do the media know that?All they are reporting are the usual daily deaths,are they going to keep reporting that?Because if so,there are going to be thousands suffering with their mental health,constant doom and gloom.It was good to see the 99 year old man leaving hospital after beating the virus,brought a lump to my throat  :)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »

From the US we were shown pictures of a mass grave where New Yorkers are being buried. In response someone from the area has tweeted "unclaimed bodies have been buried in mass graves on Hart Island for over 150 years. NY didn't start doing this for coronavirus".

I heard the guy in charge of these burials being interviewed on Radio 4. He said that each Covid-19 victim who is buried on Heart Island is given a number which is passed on to the family and once the crisis is over the body can then be exhumed and 'repatriated' to wherever the family wishes.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »

That'll be a job - they are being buried in white boxes with no numbers visible in tiers - then being covered over by earth.  I think it would be better to offer any relatives a service to honour all that are laid there.  In many UK Church Yards are corners outside the walls where unclaimed are buried, some have an area in one corner inside the wall for paupers. 

I saw a Funeral Director saying that his trade has diminished as people haven't made provision so can't afford a funeral - well there's a message there somewhere? 

Two hoots

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »

This report of mass graves was awful, I had no idea that New York had a place where they buried unknown or unclaimed, bodies  :'( apparently it's been in use before the virus. What happens to these poor people in the USA or UK it's not something I've ever thought about or wanted to if I'm honest  :-\
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:58:56 PM by Two hoots »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »

It's part of our history.  Many people on the outskirts of society would not have a) family nor b) funds 4 a funeral so the Church would take on the service.  However, one had to be Confirmed in order to be buried in consecrated ground so anyone unknown to the Church would be given a pauper burial. 

Church Yards hold our history and can give a huge amount of information.  Quiet places 4 research too  ;)

Two hoots

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »

It's something from history, mass graves, not 2020. I think that image of the graves will be forever linked to this year  :'(

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 04:08:49 PM »

I'm avoiding the media as much as possible - just check in on the headlines twice a day and that's pretty much it.  Because I'm getting SO fed up with endless repetition.  We all KNOW the rules - and those who are ignoring them are ignoring them by choice, not because they 'haven't heard' about them.  Also, we do not need graphic details of how someone dies or how upset their family is.  It's not going to make the selfish few change their behaviour, and it increases fear and distress in everyone else (and fear hits your immune system big time, so will actually make you more prone to being poorly).

I'm also fed up with the number of 'do as I say not as I do' stories which abound on both the news channels AND social media.

Two from this morning, the first from a paper and the second from Facebook:

"I was taking my daily cycle ride along the coastal path this morning, and I was disgusted to see so many people out for a walk.  Selfish idiots - do they think the rules don't apply to them?" 

And

"I've just popped down to Tesco for some milk and I was horrified to see how many people were shopping.  STAY HOME.  You're killing people by making unnecessary journeys." 

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »

I don't know stellajane?  One for future research .........

The point about exercise is to avoid others but remain healthy.

I can't be bothered, on E Sat., to watch the update  ::)

It might be 2020 but I suspect in parts of the World where the media fear to tread, this may happen .........  It is what it is.  The World is running out of burial space as well as land fill.  Some cultures of course celebrate their ancestors once a year by dancing and singing  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »

Well said Dorothy,the news is practically on a loop these days,I'm with you,we DO NOT NEED to see people in wards coughing and in distress,WE GET IT!! They don't show you in normal times,people dying from cancer and heart disease so why this?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 04:36:37 PM »

I think more and more people will switch off?  I think it's an invasion of privacy as most won't be able to say yah or nah! and surely a camera crew isn't appropriate with the shortage of space in ICU?

Sparrow

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 05:41:16 PM »

It's done to keep us scared.  Scared people do as they are told.  :(

I watch minimal media coverage.  It's saturation and I'm sick of it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:43:03 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »

;D. will you share so that we can practice  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »

Does any1 else feel that all this outdoor reporting: from beaches, outside Hospitals, showing how Cities are empty : is a non-essential journey  :-\ ?  I'm sick of seeing journalists and police walking along beaches which are supposedly empty, showing us how it 'should' be at the same time telling us that we are allowed to exercise.  Well no, journalists and associated camera crews should not be standing outside Hospitals ......... if they want 2 issue an update on Boris it can be sent to Matt Hancock for release at 5.00 p.m.!

Also, that MP who travelled from London to see his parents in Shropshire as they needed food and medicines then went to Herefordshire to join his family ....... again, 1 rule for them and we are being told otherwise .  A 40 mile journey is not essential, when the public are being told not to travel more than 5 miles from home?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

I think it was/is important to show the empty places in case people had the idea they would sneak off and surely there must be other people doing it. Well actually no, and the imnages prove it ( although could have been taken at dawn!).

Noone has said we are only to travel 5 miles from home? Where did you get that idea? There has been no limit put on where you should drive either for your shopping or to park for your exercise. For the latter the Goivt has said close to home but steered clear of any definition. As for distance for visiting elderly relative who also lives in village without shops, eg shopping as I do, well that's about 15 miles and no-one would tell someone not to do that. Also we live further than 5 miles from a shop so it is patently absurd to put any form of distance restriction, which is why they haven't. 40 miles is pushing it but if the elderly parents had no other way of getting their food and medicines fair enough, although most people can call on help relatively locally.

It's done to keep us scared.  Scared people do as they are told.  :(

I watch minimal media coverage.  It's saturation and I'm sick of it.

We have reason to be scared with the frightening amount of deaths happening daily and no clear end to this crisis. Of course we should do what we're told otherwise this thing will claim more of us before our time.

Well said Dorothy,the news is practically on a loop these days,I'm with you,we DO NOT NEED to see people in wards coughing and in distress,WE GET IT!! They don't show you in normal times,people dying from cancer and heart disease so why this?

No many people don't seem to get it (jaypo excluding you and all of us here on the forum ie you and we do get it!!).  Every single death before thier time is harrowing and a tragedy for someone somewhere. Although it is distressing it is not possible to imagine how ill people can get from this virus without the reminders and CLKD, people will have given their consent to be shown on TV if they are identifiable, in fact people have asked to share their stories.

I think we should be shown more. I mean in italy we were shown the lorry convoys of trucks with bodies and temporary mortuaries being set up etc. I know that sounds morbid but it brings it home to people, and practically, what is being done in UK about this? It is really quite scary. Then we hear some politicians talking about easing the lockdown because of the economic impact of continuing for weeks and in some form for months. NO WAY!

I must say I've been watching the daily briefings although I get bored by the questions, and keep up with all the stats on twitter as well as trying to read the latest science (digestible version!).

The deaths from apparent covid will be from the death certs from doctors if it is suspected, which is quite reasonable at the moment. There will have to be grounds for suspecting that. These are reflected in the weekly stats from ONS. I linked to that on another thread but don't ask me which one  ::) there are so many!

The thing to do is to avoid all the poor quality tabloids like Mail Sun Express etc and other disreputable rags that love sensational headlines. The BBC is fairly straightforward as is the Guardian, but you can also sign up to Dept of Health and Social Care, Public Health etc, and some of the science sites (I've put links to some of these) for some of the actual data.

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2 3