Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: no vagifem suggestion  (Read 761 times)

jaycee

no vagifem suggestion
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »

Why don't Drs or nurses recommend Vagifem or similiar to women suffering from VA
My daughter had to go for a smear test which was very painful, and  said she found sex painful,
Luckily she can talk to me and asked if there was anything she could use
I had a spare box of Vagifem as don't need it very often,and gave them to her also some Ovestin
I  would think when someone is suffering like that and finding an examnation painful that some help would be suggested or recommended
I didn't know anything like this existed until i got what i thought was a very painful UTI only about 3 years ago

Katejo

Re: no vagifem suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:03:00 PM »

The same story about  not knowing anything about VA until in the throes of it is so very common.
Me too by the way. it's utterly crap and doctors are seriously letting us down.
Worse, the misinformation and downright dangerous advice doled out too! X
I had a conversation with my cousin just a couple of days ago and HRT came up. She sounded a bit shocked that I was taking it so I asked her if she knew about VA. I had to explain it to her. She is a year older than I am.

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 10:21:12 PM »

I did wonder how common it was, now i know,i think it's disgusting, my daughter never knew there was such a thing,as i didn't either,she has now told her friend who is going through the same thing
Her friend asked her Dr if she could have HRT and the Dr said no, she's too fat,which i think is disgusting,she isn;t even what you would call fat, but maybe a bit overweight
 >:(

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 12:00:42 AM »

You can take systemic HRT if overweight but they will prescribe transdermal so patch or gel.
I was fobbed off for ages, a female GP who was older than me said you couldn't get VA until you were two years post menopause, what a load of rubbish!

Lyncola

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 02:16:16 AM »

Two years post menopause  :o

Wow, that's crap, my first menopausal symptom was virginal atrophy, I was 45 years old had a hysterectomy 4 months before and still had my ovaries, there was only 5% chance of going into menopause within a year of my operation.

Still it took my doctor 4 months to start me on Ovestin and Vagifem, but then again I did have  BV as well  :'(

Virginal atrophy is the Pitts, my husband turned around to me last night (this is the second time he's asked the same question) so when can you stop taking your medicine (virginal atrophy), I explain again that this is for life and I will be taking this medication until the day I die. He then told me he thought it went away with menopause  :o

Don't get me wrong my husband is a wonderful caring husband, but he doesn't always seem to listen and I'm sure in six months he will asked me the same question again  ;D

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »

How are you doing Lyncola?  I know you were in such misery.  I had no idea what VA was until, at age 68 and never having a UTI, I was hit with 3 back to back.  Then the miserable pain and stinging started.  Fortunately I have a very well informed GP and she encouraged my use of Vagifem daily FOR LIFE.  The urologist was totally useless and said I was well into menopause so what"s the big deal!  Women also should be well advised that Vagifem takes a very long time to bring relief.  The 12 weeks relief is B.S.  I am into month 7 but getting better every week. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »

Because there isn't any joined up thinking?  As we see with this C-19 situation?

Fortunately my GP noted that my urine samples were negative so rang to tell me that he was leaving a prescription for 'ovestin' and it works.

Get some leaflets and copies of 'Me and My Menopausal Vagina' and take to your GP Surgeries!!

Lyncola

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 09:52:30 AM »

Hi Whatsupwiththis,

I've been doing okay, I'm on Vagifem every 3rd night, but thinking about going back to every second, I feel the pain is a little bit more then usual. I've been using Vagifem for about 6 months now and I was using Ovestin internally about 6 months before that.

When I first started Vagifem I was two nights a week, I definitely could not go back to that again. I'm not worried about using it more, as I know HRT is very low. I think the worst thing about using Vagifem more is the $$$$$$$$$. At $27 a box I feel very sorry for anyone who has to use it everyday. :'(
But than again I understand because the pain is terrible

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 12:27:37 PM »

Morning - whats that in LSD?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »

I rewash my applicators ........ then put them into plastic waste if I get too many  ;)

Pounds.  Shillings.  Pence .......... [d] do keep up  ;D

Sammiejane

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 11:41:38 PM »

hi i've been using ovestin for well over s year but i find not the following day but the next after using it i have bladder irritation and also for about an hour after insertion

as ovestin contains estriol does vagifem work better as it's estradiol ?