Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes and anxiety  (Read 666 times)

Paula469

Hot flushes and anxiety
« on: April 05, 2020, 10:44:35 AM »

So far on my HRT journey I have used Evorel Sequi, Estradot 75 + utrogestan, estradot 100 + utrogestan and currently, Femoston 10/2.

My hot flushes have gone and my anxiety is down (for which I am very grateful in these times). However, I am not really seeing any other improvements and my skin has gone really dry and itchy again.

In addition, since I started HRT 11 months ago I have put on a lot of weight, despite being strict about what I eat and increased exercise.

If I was getting all the HRT benefits I might be able to put up with that, but as I am not I am considering stopping HRT. my big concern, though is dealing with the anxiety and hot flushes.

What natural remedies can you all recommend?

Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hot flushes and anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:15:34 AM »

Hi - have a look in the Alternative Room? Make notes ;-)

Some get benefit from non-medical stuff but as hormones take over, that benefit may be lost.

hwils

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »

Hi,
I sympathise re the hot flushes & anxiety, I have just started with Evorel Conti & am hoping for a reduction in flushes & anxiety at night time. You may find the weight gain is actually fluid retention which I've had consistently for around a year now (started a few months after my periods stopped) & can account for 4-5 pounds. I know this because occasionally it disappears for  brief periods. Often even my shoes feel tight, face puffy, particularly bad around tummy & thighs. I try to drink more water & cut out salty things but doesn't seem to help much. Have had blood tests to rule out other causes like under active thyroid- have you been tested for this?

Regarding skin some products I find good for dry skin face are
 - Lucky Cloud facial cleansing balm & 
    Oil - lovely small ethical company,
    does mail order
 - Paula's Choice products - mail order
   also, I use the ?intensive repair
   cream? which has some retinol in it
   & omega complex moisturiser. If
   you?re not used to retinol phase the
   first one in gradually. I've spent a
   fortune on skin care over the yrs &
   this range is the best I've ever used
   for my dry skin & is reasonably
   priced
 - Aveeno cream for body

Hope this is of some help, take care.

hwils

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 09:46:02 AM »

Sorry about the punctuation in my previous post every type of punctuation I use comes out as a question mark when posted for some reason rather annoying  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »

It is really annoying  >:( and some older posts have all kinds of hieroglyphics ! 

Jari

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »

Hi Paula469

I do not take hrt and did have intense hot flushes about a year after last period. I am now nearly 3 years since last period and my hot flushes are no-where like they were for that short period... they have gradually trailed off and are now mild and about 2 a day.

For anxiety, brisk walking is very good.

I did try Hrt during the short phase of intense flushes, but took it less than 3 months. I came off it as it caused quite a number of bad symptoms for me, one of those being great weight gain. I seemed to balloon... this went when I came off the hormones.

J x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 10:40:25 AM »

Hi Paula469

Unfortunately weight gain is common around the time of menopause with or without HRT, as our metabolism slows. Yes we need to eat a lot less ( and maybe of different foods) and exercise a lot more, just to stay the same weight. I agree with hwils that a thyroid blood test might be in order although only TSH is usually measured, sometimes T4. If you have a blood tests ( probably difficult right now!) then be sure to see the actual results.

In terms of alternative treatments to HRT for flushes - the only ones that  work are some anti-depressants which women who cannot take HRT are recommended to try - certain ones are more effective than others. However they won't give you the benefits of HRT. You haven't given your age or menopausal stage, and how long on HRT?

Anxiety can be treated in many ways - exercise, fresh air (a bit limited at the moment!), talking and thinking therapies etc, maintaining a balanced diet (and regulating blood sugar etc), music. We are all naturally more anxious at the moment which is only to be expected.

If Femoston is mostly controlling your flushes as well as anxiety I would stick with it and concentrate on diet and exercise.

Hurdity x