Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utro at half dose if taken vaginally?  (Read 744 times)

Jaylow

Utro at half dose if taken vaginally?
« on: April 06, 2020, 08:32:37 PM »

Anyone see this on Louise Newson menopause dr Instagram yesterday?

bear

Re: Utro at half dose if taken vaginally?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 10:00:31 PM »

Hi Jaylou,

I don't have Instagram, what exactly is she saying? How would you take a half dose?

BeaR.

Jaylow

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 11:58:02 PM »

If you take it cyclically you can take 1 a night instead of 2 for the 14 nights a month. I think she said if you take it daily you can take it every other day. This would be great but I'm a bit wary as I haven't heard this before

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:01:11 AM »

I wonder if she is right. Obviously she's an expert and presumably her patients have scans so they know there's no build up. But presumably utro was properly tested before they recommended the dose. They can't both be right. It might be only a few that need the higher dose but no one knows if they're in this group.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »

Hi jaylou

This is not a new idea. It has been known for many years and we've been discussing it since 2011 well before Louise Newson suggested it. In fact there is a lot of misinformation and hearsay about this and the original information by Dr Newson has at times been a bit lost in translation!

This was also brought up a few weeks ago so I have bumped the thread about it and which you will find here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47046.0.html

I have also done a long thread in which I posted the abstracts of the studies looking into this and I will add Dr Newson's info to this. In a nutshell she recommends the licensed usual dosage but mentions the half dose used vaginally, saying that evidence shows it is safe. However the studies only looked at low to medium dose oestrogen so this blanket statement will not apply universally to all women.

Any departure from the licensed regime should obnly be done with approval from your doctor and appropriate monitoring.

Hurdity x

Jaylow

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 12:11:17 PM »

Thanks for this info. What would be classed as low or medium dosage of estrogel? Would 2 pumps a day be a medium dose?

bear

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 12:56:48 PM »

Hi Jaylou,

Thank you for your reply. Has Dr Newson given any evidence to corroborate her new Utrogestan regime? Patients endometrial scan results, maybe?

I suppose 2 pumps of Oestrogel is considered standard dose, 3 medium dose and 4 high dose. One pump would be low dose, but I could be wrong,  this is just an approximation because what really matters is symptom relief and absorption rates vary depending on skin properties.

BeaR.

bear

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 03:32:48 PM »

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 06:58:43 PM »

Hi Jaylou,

Thank you for your reply. Has Dr Newson given any evidence to corroborate her new Utrogestan regime? Patients endometrial scan results, maybe?

I suppose 2 pumps of Oestrogel is considered standard dose, 3 medium dose and 4 high dose. One pump would be low dose, but I could be wrong,  this is just an approximation because what really matters is symptom relief and absorption rates vary depending on skin properties.

BeaR.

bear if you follow my links and the bumped thread you will find all the information you asked for including an extract from Louise Newson's page.  I didn't repeat it all here because it was already done a few weeks ago and Jaylou has now seen it. You will also see the information I posted and added to earlier with the abstracts from the papers (that I know of) and (some of?) the evidence on which this advice is given.

Thanks for this info. What would be classed as low or medium dosage of estrogel? Would 2 pumps a day be a medium dose?

Yes! Two pumps is considered medium dose on average but for some individual women it will be high, others low, as there is a wide variability in absorption.

Hurdity x