Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: UTI or not?  (Read 1204 times)

Brown eyed girl

UTI or not?
« on: April 03, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »

Dear ladies,

I'd love some advice if possible - I've had about a week now of very painful symptoms, mainly burning pain in the urethra (sorry if TMI) and the urge to urinate much more often.  I wasn't sure if it was a UTI but in the end phoned the GP who triaged me over the phone and prescribed nitrofurantoin for 3 days.  After the three days there was no real improvement, so another GP prescribed another 3 day course of something different, which I've just finished and again the symptoms haven't improved.  In desperation I have phoned again today and the GP was very sympathetic and said that he thought it was definitely a UTI which was resistant to the first two antibiotics so has prescribed a third and asked me to drop in a sample on Monday morning.
I'm feeling very worried about the intensity of the burning - but I had also run out of HRT about 10 days ago so am wondering if that is a factor.  Has anyone had symptoms similar to this and found it was VA rather than a UTI? Also does anyone have any tips for how to reduce the pain?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but could do with some help! Thankyou x

Joaniepat

Re: UTI or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 07:02:03 PM »

A three day course of ABs for a UTI is not nearly enough. You need at least 7 days and I suggest you ask for this. In the meantine, try some bicarbonate of soda, a quarter to a half of a tsp, dissolved in a glass of water. Alternatively you can buy the sachets of sodium citrate for cystitis in any chemist. These will lessen the acidity of the urine.

JP x

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »

I used Azo Urinary Tract relief pills.  They turn your urine bright orange but work like a charm.  You can buy them on Amazon but may take a few days (weeks) to arrive.  In the meantime you could ask pharmacist for UTI relief.  I always had a pack of Azo on hand for urethra pain due to VA.   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 07:33:48 PM »

You probably don't need any ABs at all.  Has a urine sample been sent to a Lab. to grow bugs if any are present?  A GP is NOT in a position to say if there is  a resistance, if it's been grown you will get the correct ABs!  Regardless of the current situation a sample should have been sent to a Lab..  Get some pain relief down you too.

Have you treatment for vaginal atrophy?  I suggest ringing the surgery and ask for some, it will help with/without any infection.  VA imitates urine infection-type symptoms really really well. 

See if your Surgery has a clinic on a Sat. morning.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 07:55:11 PM »

A three day course of ABs for a UTI is not nearly enough. You need at least 7 days and I suggest you ask for this. In the meantine, try some bicarbonate of soda, a quarter to a half of a tsp, dissolved in a glass of water. Alternatively you can buy the sachets of sodium citrate for cystitis in any chemist. These will lessen the acidity of the urine.

JP x
I agree with all of this and there is no point in leaving a further sample until you have been free of AB for minimum 2 to 3 days. It will affect the results.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 09:20:45 AM »

How are you this morning?   Did U get up in the night to pee?

Brown eyed girl

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »

Hi CKLD,

Thanks for asking! Yes I did, and today have taken some Azo (red tablets) to try to take the edge off the pain.  I'm still taking the antibiotics but am not sure if it's a UTI or could VA cause this much pain?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 04:15:14 PM »

YEP.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there!  Have a look-see at 'yes' and 'sylc' threads here.  You may be able to get free samples. Do ring your GP ASAP and ask for appropriate treatment.  NO GP can diagnose a urine infection over the 'phone and sadly, some still don't know about atrophy!

NO GP can tell if a 'bug' is resistant if the urine hasn't been sent to a Lab. 'cos there ain't a bug to discuss - this cannot be diagnosed over the 'phone and is negligent even to consider doing so.  If a sample shows resistance to an AB t will be red flagged in the Lab..

Get some Nurofen into you. 

Brown eyed girl

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »

Hi CLKD

Thanks for replying again, poor you having the feeling of razor blades up there - did you have the need to go to the loo a lot as well? I was using vagifem for about 6 weeks on and off but couldn't tell if it was making a difference - but things seem to have really got a lot worse since I ran out of my HRT prescription - do you think the lack of that could have made such a difference? Just trying to see some light at the end of the tunnel! X

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 04:49:11 PM »

Hello Brown eyed girl.

I think not taking HRT could be adding to your problems or even be the cause.

Last year I came of HRT and about two weeks later I developed burning and itching, neither of which I had experienced before. I tried otc remedies as I didn't want to go back on HRT and I have found that Yes VM cream is working well so far. I buy my cream from Boots, they order it for me and I pay for it thought it's quite pricey but I understand that it is also  available on prescription.

I'm sorry that you are suffering and I hope this helps.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »

Some ladies require HRT as well as localised VA treatment to keep symptoms under control.

Brown eyed girl

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 06:03:31 PM »

Thankyou both, really appreciate your replies x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »

Any easier this evening? 

Brown eyed girl

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 02:34:23 PM »

Hi CLKD

No not yet - thanks for asking though. Still got the burning feeling - trying to ignore it but it's very hard....