Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estrogel & Provera 10mg  (Read 1038 times)

Smokey123

Estrogel & Provera 10mg
« on: April 03, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »

Morning all, I am new to this forum so I will give you a bit of my background. I am 44 and I started on the HRT journey in May 2018. I was having lots of menopausal symptoms 2-3 years prior to starting my first HRT which was Femseven patches sequi. I found I had a low mood on these, so was changed to Femoston 1/10, was on this dose for a month or so and was then upped to 2/10 as I didn't feel much relief on the 1/10.
Femoston was good, but the last couple of months i started with night sweats and my joints and muscles were constantly aching. I started on the gel a couple of weeks ago and the provera I started last saturday. Has anyone suffered really bad headaches whilst being in this combination? I know its early days so i will stick with it, but the last few days my head has been banging and i have never suffered with headaches before?
TIA
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:37:21 AM by Smokey123 »

Hurdity

Re: Estrogel & Provera 10mg
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »

Hi Smokey123

:welcomemm:

Your post got missed - not so many members around at the moment for obvious reasons.

Sorry to hear about your headaches. Unfortunately some women do react like this with some of the progestogens. Banging headaches are not good though especially at this stressful time. Has it eased at all? Also what dose of gel are you taking? Apart from the headaches do you feel generally better on the gel?

I do hope it settles for you otherwise it might be a case of trying a different progestogen but unfortunately there are not many to choose from taken separately. Such a pity that dydrogesterone, the one in Femoston, is not available on its own! Other alternatives are Utrogestan or Mirena coil.

Hopefully you are feeling better today.

Hurdity x

Lanzalover

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 05:53:02 AM »

Good morning Smokey123

:welcomemm:
Hope you are feeling better this morning.

I also use gel and Provera albeit on a long cycle as I'm in my 60's and have fortunately never suffered from a banging headache while taking Provera.

According to the patient info leaflet under side effects it states

Very common:may affect more than 1 in 10 people

: headache
         : feeling sick
         : unexpected or unusual vaginal bleeding or spotting

I would see what happens next month and if the headache re appears would contact your GP.

Unfortunately as Hurdity has said when it comes to progesterone there really are very few choices.Other alternativies are Utrogestan or the Mirena  coil.

Best wishes
Lanzalover x

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 01:55:27 PM »

hi

i got bad headaches on the estrogel that lasted a good 5 months then eased didn't take progesterone x

i've since gone onto a combined regime of gel and utrogestan for the mood swings headaches aniexty and is great 👍 i've had hysterectomy so don't need progesterone but i was crazy on estrogel alone and i gave a good year so know it wasn't going to improve

Smokey123

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 08:16:53 AM »

Thank you all for your replies! My headaches have subsided 😊. However one symptom that I actually forgot to mention which is as bad as the headaches, and more concerning is breathlessness, I have asthma, which has always been mild, but has always been more noticeable before a period. Since starting on the estrogel I've been more breathless, using my reliever inhaler everyday several times a day, which is not like me. I'm wondering as I have read that estrogen plays a part in asthma, that I am maybe absorbing more estrogen with using the gel then I was with the femoston 2/10? I am on 2 pumps, or could I possibly be low in estrogen and this is affecting my asthma? So confused🙄
Thanks Natalie x

Lanzalover

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 10:58:54 AM »

Pleased to hear your headaches have subsided.

Unable to advise re your breathlessness but hopefully someone on hear may be able to advise. If not you could perhaps try ringing your GP are local pharmacist for some advice.

Lanzalover x