Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: Hospitals are not allowing visitors (social distancing and masks)  (Read 32065 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Masks
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2020, 03:49:24 PM »

People say it makes their specs steam up so they end up walking into things!

Happens to me every  time I shop. I need my specs to read details/prices butnthen they all steam up cos ia have my mask on.  I read somewhere that if you rub eashing up liquid on them that stops it but daren't try.

Emm225

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »

So..anyone got a link to make masks..and out of what? I haven't seen any on line to buy which are any good.  I wouldn't want to take masks away from those on the front line..although I do work in a school and am in on a rota basis

Two hoots

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »

Google no sew face masks, I don't  know his to paste the links  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »

We probably wouldn't be able to afford front line kit anyway.

How about a bee keepers' head gear?

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »

I've been looking at Bedouin face cover for women - the Omani women wear something that looks severe but would probably do in our current situation

I have Persian facial wedding wear which I could convert ......... if I could thread a needle  ::).  A mix of lapis lazuli, ethnic coins, soap stone in blue all strung onto cord ............ at least it would be different  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2020, 08:52:41 AM »

How about a bee keepers' head gear?
Now that's an idea! However some if them just have gauze since they just need to have a mesh to protect against bees. Unfortunately droplets will go straight through!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »

A bit of ingenuity then?  The whole outfit is PPE after all.

Two hoots

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2020, 03:45:08 PM »

Did you see the news report from inside a hospital over the weekend, it followed a nurse into the hospital, she got fully kitted out and disappeared into the ward. Next time we see her she's telling us she needs to take off all the kit in a certain order to avoid contamination. Next thing she's kitting up again saying I needed that tea break  :o

Don't get me wrong everyone needs a break but with all this shortage news it seemed very wasteful  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »

We became a throw away society.  I think it's time that kit was washed in the Hospital as in times gone by.  These PPEs should be steamed cleaned whilst this crisis is on, what's the worst that could happen? It would melt.  Thinking of dry cleaners ...... where many items are steamed cleaned.  Surely ?

Also, where's it all going.  How many thousands of PPE are being ditched daily during this crisis!  What a waste of money too.

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2020, 08:21:05 AM »

'Huge global demand' -  The World Health Organization (WHO) has said there is no evidence to support the use of face masks by the general population.

It says people who are not in health and care facilities should only wear masks if they are sick or caring for those who are ill.

Is this turning into a school yard argument  >:(.  Once-only masks - isn't a possibility if 1 considers the millions that will be required daily and how will they be disposed because they become clinical waste.  Another drain on NHS resources?

One company had made masks which said "If you can read this you are too close".  They got slammed apparently by the NHS  :-\ whereas I would have bought several!  I think it's an ideal sentiment anyway.  These fashion masks could have been washed, ironed if necessary and re-sued. 

sheila99

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2020, 09:09:38 PM »

Cotton will let the virus through.

Taz2

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2020, 09:45:44 PM »

Is anyone making scrubs for their local hospital? - a few of my friends are but I'm no good at all at that sort of thing.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2020, 08:32:11 AM »

Nope - can't thread a needle  ;D and how does that work when the government won't reply to those offering full face masks?  Some locally are making laundry bags from old sheets etc., can't work out why  :-\ ..............

stellajane - I wonder if putting a panty liner between two layers of cotton would work, the liner could be thrown away each time the mask is washed?  There's that protection strip after all and cotton does allow germ particles through. I suggest that putting all the masks into a bag away from other clothing too, boil wash the lost in the bag every few days? 

CLKD

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2020, 08:32:44 AM »

I do wish that the government would stop harping on about it.  It's not been proven to work so why waste breath?!?

Two hoots

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2020, 09:30:37 AM »

It's the journalists, every day in the press conference it's at least one question on PPE.  Watching tv a few days ago and a nurse was asked about her hospital and she said yes we have enough, not the answer the presenter was hoping for.

The number of items the hospitals are going through is vast, it feels like huge waste, obviously some things are single use but scrubs can easily be washed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23