Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Hospitals are not allowing visitors (social distancing and masks)  (Read 32064 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Masks
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »

So - I opt for a Storm Trooper suit when shopping and a Burka in pale blue when walking.  Masks - how will they become available all so fast?  Will they be washable?  1 per day per person = ?  If this virus is so dangerous these masks have to be burnt = ? bagging up and collection points?

Tc

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »

Govt dont have the PPE because they were too far behind the game and supplies are low.

We have been told not to buy masks and leave them for front line workers.  I am on my own. I have astma and no one to shop for me.  shopping was a nightmare because ppl didnt distance. Ppl were coughing near me I ended up sitting in my flat with a bare fridge  because I was too scared to shop. . I now wear a mask and I feel justified in doing so. I only go out twice a week. I put it on before I step out of the door and wait until I've washed hands to remove it and throw it away. Xxx

Xx

sheila99

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2020, 01:46:35 PM »

Tc we have a Facebook group with volunteers who will get shopping for anyone vulnerable. Do you have anything similar in your area?
The PPE situation like the ventilators is because we have virtually no manufacturing industry left. We import PPE from China so we're reliant on what they send us. Chickens coming home to roost IMO. Let's hope it's a wake up call. The current government plans for agriculture will make sure we have no farmers left either and we will import all our food. Then we really see panic buying.

CLKD

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2020, 02:05:27 PM »

Sadly sheila99 ........ I have today signed the NFU petition about those ghastly Chinese lanterns that cause havoc across the countryside  >:(

Tc - have a look-see at your local food bank website, facebook groups, Pub etc. as there are many support groups for getting food to people. 

Tc

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2020, 05:12:31 PM »

Thank you ladies x

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2020, 05:19:12 PM »

Let us know how you get on?  No one needs to be short of supplies! This isn't the 3rd World .......... get those fingers over that keyboard and search, search, search ..........

Tc

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »

:: :thankyou:

Hurdity

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2020, 07:44:34 PM »

The point about masks and the conflicting advice is because in Asia they seem to wear them all the time but as protection but studies have shown that they are not very effective for preventing infection as the virus particles in the breathed out aerosols can get through the masks (depending on the materials but some are very flimsy). Also that if people use them with poor hygiene then those that aren't infected could become so, as the outside of the mask could get contaminated as also the hands, which might move the mask down to talk to someone etc etc. Their main use is in preventing or limiting the spread of the water droplets, the aerosols contain virus particle in those who go out when infected either deliberately or unknowingly.

So Tc those people coughing near you, their droplets would have been contained if they had been wearing a mask but at least if you are wearing one and they are very near you it might help a bit as it might filter out some of their coughs! I can understand your worries. When I last went shopping last Saturday I saw someone in the paying queue behind me with a red nose a bir runny so I moved away but she moved up! I was really paranoid as I didn't want to be anywhere near here , not even 2 m!!!

We also have volunteers in the village who will do shopping. The pub can get in supplies and in the nereast city there is a mutual aid group also who has volunteers. Hopefully you will find somewhere with people who can help if you don;t want to risk going out?

I think we will all still need to continue with social distancing wherever possible even if we do have to wear masks, and I think most people will want to most of the time for a long while yet even when we are allowed out.

Hurdity x

Two hoots

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2020, 09:45:06 PM »

I wish the 6 foot rule would be permanently implemented in supermarket checkouts, I hate when the person behind pushes me in the back with their trolley  >:(

Tc

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2020, 08:05:42 AM »

Tragically  A number of London bus drivers have died. Many more are sick. They hadnt been given  ppe. They are doing an Important job ferrying frontline workers around but from the interviews I've seen they feel they havent been protected properly.  From Monday front boarding will be banned and passengers not allowed in the seats nearest the cab.   Sadly too late for some. 

Xx

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »

I read this with horror.  Our drivers have a screen  :-\ which they can/not pull back to speak to passengers.  Of course one could suggest that the drivers should have taken gloves/soap/hand wash until the Company got it's act together? 

Masks don't work.  Unless they are specifically designed for specific jobs and then need to be fitted correctly.  H&S .

Tc

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »

I saw that too stella  :'(

Two hoots

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2020, 10:38:03 AM »

Masks are easy to make, I've seen videos of people folding a scarf square and adding two elastic bands and it's done, look for the videos on line  :)

CLKD

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »

Silk might do it - but I hate the feel  ::)

Maybe sew/stick a nappy liner between the face and scarf which can be washed at the end of the day ?  Will you be able to match the scarf with your glasses/handback/shoes ?

CLKD

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2020, 03:25:52 PM »

:o .........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23