Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Swap one worry for another!  (Read 1589 times)

Donnadoobie

Swap one worry for another!
« on: March 29, 2020, 06:51:03 PM »

I have just had the good news that my daughters partner's auntie is out of her coma and breathing by herself.  Phew, a worry less.

My other, oldest daughter's fianc?  is  going to work on the ambulance crew for the Nightingale Temp field hospital as a St John Ambulance volunteer, he is already a St John bicycle first responder.

Proud but so scared, especially as my daughter inherited anxiety issues.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:27:27 PM by Donnadoobie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Swap one worry for another!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »

So relieved to hear about auntie, I was wondering in the early hours of the morning!  Little steps now. 

I suspect that the fiancee will be well looked after, the more is learned about C-19 the more precautions we can all take.  If he is not happy with a working situation, speak out.  It's a learning curve for us all ........ What's a SJ Bicycle 1st responder?

As long as everyone keeps well washed down, practices safe distancing when necessary and don't sneeze/cough on each other he would be fine. 

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »

My son is a paramedic in a rural state in the USA. He's going to be working in the ER department as well. I am very proud , but worried. Things have not really kicked off where he is, but at least he has the equipment. My daughter doesn't. She works some shifts at a homeless hostel in this country. The residents do not value themselves, let alone others. Social distancing is not something they are able to do, bearing in mind alcohol and drugs are in the mix with poor life experience. Fortunately, my daughter and other workers can stay in the office area, where residents cannot go and they can keep at a distance. This is essential work, so my daughter is a key worker. I'm not happy that she continues to work here, but she is self employed and her main work has shut down. I'm proud of her. This is a job people forget has to be done.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »

Exactly Ju Ju.  The Government has insisted that all homeless people should be found an empty hotel bed what's that about  :-\. Why does this crisis make it essential that they should be off the streets?  They will have lower immune systems which goes with being homeless but many don't want to or feel safe in 'controlled' environments.  My sister has residents that wander ........ they haven't been told to keep them inside, it then becomes a 'freedom ' issue.  These types of care have been overlooked with regards safety. 

I worry about her residents insisting on going out, touching something and returning, contaminated  :-\

Donnadoobie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 10:35:51 PM »

CLKD, A St Johns bicycle first responder is a person who has the whole kit (70kg) on a bicycle and attends events, especially busy ones, Christmas shopping included, with a bicycle, as they can get to People much quicker, without traffic.  He does the London Marathon for example.  He will be on the ambulances as he has first aid skills beyond a health care assistant, who will be in the hospital.  He cannot drive, due to an eye problem, so he will be in the back with the patients.

My daughter just wants to come home to us but she can't.  She says she needs a hug from us.  We feel so useless.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 11:09:47 PM »

He might be better off working at the nightingale than an ordinary hospital. As every patient there will have it you'd hope he will have proper protective gear. I hope he'll be OK, it's a very worthwhile job.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »

:medal:  Donnadoobie - do you Skype with DD?  We have to remember that when people were isolated with TB, Polio etc. no one visited not even to look through windows, often due to the distances that were required for getting to/from the Hospitals.  During the War people were separated, I know that I would have taken to my bed  :'( - hard enough when DH was away at Uni for 3 months each time  :-\ - wouldn't do it again not even for DH !  :-*

Donnadoobie

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 09:41:58 AM »

I FaceTime both daughters daily.  Eldest is 30 miles away on the Suffolk coast, the youngest is 160 miles away in Manchester.  We are all very close.

Miss my youngest so much, she has been ?up North? since she went to Manchester Uni 5 years ago, eldest pops in at least once a week usually.

Eldest has health problems, PCOS and an eating disorder ( compulsive eating) has anxiety issues that are being dealt with but feel a lot of it is rooted in being bullied at school and low self Esteem.  I feel that her fianc?e being away in London, putting himself at risk, may just tip her over.  She is already saying that isolation is getting to her ( she is working from home). So hard all of this.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 11:56:09 AM »

I would be worried if mine was in any City but it appears that the Capital thus far is the hardest hit.  Can your DD speak with the fiancee at all?  When DH was away for months at a time if he were late ringing the phone box on a Friday evening I would have him dead and buried  :'(.  He survived ..... but as I'm typing I can feel that anxiety in the background.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »

I miss all my family. My son and family should have been staying with us now. I doubt we will see them this year. They live in the USA. I FaceTime them most days and chat with my daughter and grandson, who live ten miles away. it's hard, but as said before, people were sent away to sanitariums. No means of communication. I had an aunt who as a child was sent to one for a year. My mum says she was a changed person, very difficult and unpleasant. She made poor life choices and brought up a family of dysfunctional children. I didn't like her, but now I wonder what could have happened to her during that time.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 12:41:41 PM »

She may have felt initially that no one wanted her.  That they were getting on with Life whilst she was absent, children also worry about what the others might be getting that she missed out on.  Plus the risk of being abused  :-\

A few years ago we had a mixed family in that there were 9 kids with lots of different dads  ::) but the Mum did a grand job.  I saw her driving off one day and found the youngest on our pathway, crying quietly.  I sat beside him and we chatted, it turned out that he was worried about the other kids getting something that he would miss out.  We agreed that Mum didn't have room for everyone in the Land Rover and when she came back, the little boy, me and Mum had a chat.  She had actually brought back lollies for those she'd left behind so his little face lit up.  She gave me 1 too so he and I sat side by side on the pavement licking lollies.  Job done.  But if a child is isolated and many years ago children weren't told even the basics, it simply happened  :o

So sad Ju Ju - we have the best communication systems than ever B4 as long as the NET doesn't crash  :o