Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Boxer has license suspended  (Read 1435 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Boxer has license suspended
« on: March 30, 2020, 02:28:39 PM »

ABOUT TIME!  >:( I've always said that boxing is legalised assault  >:(

World champion Billy Joe Saunders has had his boxing licence suspended by the British Boxing Board of Control after he released a video advising men how to hit their female partners.

In the video, Saunders uses a punch bag to explain how to react if "your old woman is giving you mouth" and showing how to "hit her on the chin".

He later apologised, saying he would "never condone domestic violence".

His promoter Eddie Hearn said he is "appalled" by the "idiotic" video.

The chief executive of UK domestic abuse charity Refuge, Sandra Horley, said the video was "as dangerous as it is shocking".

The BBBofC said: "We have suspended his boxer's licence pending a hearing under the board's misconduct regulation, at a time and venue to be confirmed as soon as possible."

On Monday, WBO super-middleweight champion Saunders said he would donate ?25,000 to domestic violence charities.

Speaking to Talksport on Monday, he said it was a "silly mistake" and he "obviously wasn't thinking".

Saunders added: "I didn't mean for anyone to get upset about it. There are people dying all around the world with coronavirus and I was just trying to take the heat off that a little bit.

"It clearly hasn't done, my sense of humour is not everyone's cup of tea."

Saunders said he has received death threats and has deleted his Twitter account.

Hearn, also speaking to Talksport, added: "I was appalled really. It was so idiotic, it was so frustrating because I know Billy well. It's one step forward, four steps back with Billy Joe Saunders.

Focus

Re: Boxer has license suspended
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »

Glad to hear it.

One of my first thoughts when they announced the whole lockdown thing was that the rates of abuse would be going through the roof.

Btw, I do boxing training for women. We never hit anyone, just fitness, pads and bags. Our teacher is amazing. She's a woman also. Her speciality is mixed martial arts. She trained in Thailand, and her whole attitude is incredible, she's very together and focussed.

It gives you a huge amount of confidence, physically and emotionally. I wish I'd had more of that as a child and young woman. I maybe wouldn't have put up with as much of the crap that I did put up with.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Boxer has license suspended
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:37:25 PM »

It's legalised assault.  If anyone in a public space hit another as they do in the ring where they R being paid huge amounts of money, there would be a Court Case  :-\

We are long way away from watching people being burned at the stake.