Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hospital appointment  (Read 2570 times)

Two hoots

Hospital appointment
« on: March 28, 2020, 04:49:44 PM »

Coronovirus is all the news is reporting at the moment, it is and will affect a huge number of people in this country.  My SIL is in her early 40's with 3 children, last year she discovered she has a brain tumour, unfortunately it's in a delicate area and could damage nerves to her face.  After lots of discussion the consultant decided to scan her every six months and check how fast it's growing before reviewing her treatment.

The scan is due to be carried out next week, but it's cancelled because of the virus  :( fortunately she was the last patient seen in a private hospital yesterday as this hospital has also now stopped scans.

The family have been shocked that unless you have coronovirus you are being turned away.  How long will people have to wait, how long will waiting lists be when they re-open  >:(

I feel sorry for anyone with coronovirus but I don't agree with all other illness being sidelined.

pants46

• Still Struggling
Re: Hospital appointment
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 04:55:17 PM »

Honey, I read that in the USA some states are denying ventilators to those CV patients that have cancer or mental health issues.
The world has gone mad.
But in your sister's situation and others like her, they are safer staying away from hospitals, in the short term at least.

Barnacle

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 06:31:41 PM »

It's a shitty and very sad situation, isn't it.

My mum has cancer and is due to go in for a op this coming Thursday and on Monday i have to drive her DH to Papworth hospital to have the batteryin his pacemaker changed. I am waiting for the phone to ring saying both have been cancelled.

Blot

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 06:38:58 PM »

My aunt has cancer and was due to start treatment the week before last but it's been put on hold. I understand that she will be at increased risk of cv due to the treatment but also if she doesn't have treatment the cancer could/will kill her. it's a no win situation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 09:07:43 PM »

They are pulling all staff into areas that need intensive care.  Hopefully many of these patients that have had treatment put on hold will be put forwards once the crisis has peaked, currently due to be around Easter. 

It's about evening out the spread of C-19.  It is dreadful that other medical needs are put on hold but A&E will be remain busy with accidents, drunks, drug over doses, heart conditions .......... babies. 

getting_old

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 08:43:02 PM »

I have to say that I am a bit confused by some of this. I can understand operations etc. being cancelled in hospitals where they have cases but where we are they're only now reporting a couple of hospitalised cases, yet they stopped operations a week or so ago. Surely if they didn't have anyone hospitalised with the virus they could still have been carrying out other treatments?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »

One would hope that once these field hospitals are set up, essential scans and surgery will go ahead, but we have to realise that in a 'normal' year, many operations are cancelled during Season Flu which we don't get to hear about.  Due to icy weather when people fall, due to intake of those with 'flu who will die due to underlying conditions .......  those statistics are not released until the next Autumn because they are spread over many months.

It will depend too on how many medical staff are self isolating due to cold symptoms: on an 'in case' basis.  Once testing becomes more available and thorough, these 'in case medics' will be able to return to work. 

People with low immune systems have to be shielded hence the cancellation of many treatments.  Although when I had radiation treatment I wanted to get it out of the way, I felt that I was getting rid of the tumour, there have been over the years, thoughts that the profession may be over treating with chemo - that it could be given in less amounts over a longer period of time to lessen side effects.  But no one in the Oncology World has, as yet, been brave enough to suggest it for fear of repercussions. So although some treatments have been cancelled, it may be that some patients will have had enough chemo to stave off any problems.  But Oncologests simply do not know.

The 'C' word still has the power to frighten. 

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »

I have to say that I am a bit confused by some of this. I can understand operations etc. being cancelled in hospitals where they have cases but where we are they're only now reporting a couple of hospitalised cases, yet they stopped operations a week or so ago. Surely if they didn't have anyone hospitalised with the virus they could still have been carrying out other treatments?

I think it's the recovery period that they will be concerned about and complications, as this can be unpredictable so they want to keep space and staff available for the "tsunami" of sick patients (from Covid-19) in the coming weeks.

I too think it is very scary that the lives of these patients are seemingly taking priority over other equally high priority conidtions like cancer which may not kill within days as the virus does without intervention but potentially a lot more people may well die due to delayed diagnosis or treatment.

However I can understand why though. We have all see the pictures from Spain and Itally (but not in this country) of hundereds of sick people being taken to hospital and it is the sheer scale of the crisis and trying to keep it under control is what is driving this, rather than valuing these people's lives (from Covid-19) over other less immediate illnesses.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »

However turning this on it's head: the people in the UK with chronic conditions or those requiring chemo are more likely to survive long term than many who are being rushed into Hospital with possible C-19. 

Barnacle

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 02:46:55 PM »

Well, i'm glad to say that both my Mum's and her DH's ops went ahead as planned. On Monday i took her DH to Papworth and he was in and out in 5 hours and my DH took Mum in yesterday morning at 06.30 and she had her op at 09.00. I know we all have a moan and groan about the NHS sometimes, but i feel very, very fortunate to live in a country where we have access to the service they provide.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »

:tulips2: :tulips: for them both ! 

Barnacle

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 10:56:55 AM »

Just a quick update on my Mum's cancer treatment. She was discharged from hospital last Monday, 4 days after her op, as they felt that she would be safer at home and yesterday afternoon received a call to say that no further treatment will be necessary.
The care she received and the ongoing support she is getting has been fantastic and i am feeling so, so grateful to everyone involved.

My thoughts are still with everyone waiting for appointments or receiving care and treatment at this crazy time xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 11:26:19 AM »

:medal:  tnx so much for the update, I feel a party in the offing  :cheer: :cancan:

Barnacle

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 12:35:41 PM »

Thanks CKLD, a party will be had when the time comes, i'm sure. I certainly slept better last night x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 04:18:30 PM »

How far is the journey Teresa - could Macmillan give you a one-off payment for a Taxi there and back?  There are probably various one-off gifts to help in your situation.  If you don't ask  ;)
Pages: [1] 2