Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hospital appointment  (Read 2567 times)

Barnacle

Re: Hospital appointment
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 05:28:26 PM »

Thank you Teresa x

Do you go to Addenbrokes? My DH works as a Private Hire driver and is taking quite a few patients for appointments (oncology and dialysis mainly) at the moment. He has a contract with the West Suffolk, but maybe the same thing is supplied by whatever one you go to.

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 08:34:38 PM »

Coronovirus is all the news is reporting at the moment, it is and will affect a huge number of people in this country.  My SIL is in her early 40's with 3 children, last year she discovered she has a brain tumour, unfortunately it's in a delicate area and could damage nerves to her face.  After lots of discussion the consultant decided to scan her every six months and check how fast it's growing before reviewing her treatment.

The scan is due to be carried out next week, but it's cancelled because of the virus  :( fortunately she was the last patient seen in a private hospital yesterday as this hospital has also now stopped scans.

The family have been shocked that unless you have coronovirus you are being turned away.  How long will people have to wait, how long will waiting lists be when they re-open  >:(

I feel sorry for anyone with coronovirus but I don't agree with all other illness being sidelined.
I was due for a hysteroscopy under GA (had one with local anaesthetic in February but too painful to take a biopsy). My first one showed no polyps or fibroids and the lining looked healthy and was only 5mm but they insisted that a biopsy must be done. I had a pre op appointment on March 7th. They rang me with a question on the 19th, just before the lockdown and confirmed that the delay was due to Corona. I have heard nothing since. They did try to ring me yesterday but I missed the call. I tried to ring back but only got a recorded message with no voicemail options.
I am happy to wait a month or so. My bleeding is minimal now. Extremely light and regular once a month like a period. I don't  need any protection during the night. I am hoping it will just stop on its own. If I did have it done, I couldn't satisfy their requirement to have someone drive me home and stay with me until the next day because of the current contact/stay in your own home  and travel restrictions.  I originally planned for a neighbour to collect me and put me up in her house overnight.

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 09:26:46 PM »

I honestly wouldn't worry katejo.

Interesting that it comes cyclically isn't it?

This business of everything being sidelined for the virus must be very worrying indeed for a lot of people with serious conditions.  As you say TwoHoots how long will the waiting lists be once we get back to normal and how will they prioritise? It almost feels like it should be done on a nationwide basis.

The aftermath of this could be worse than the crisis itself.
I am not too worried. The thing which bothered me was the consultant insisting that ALL bleeding must be checked even though I quoted a study saying that bleeding can continue for up to a year not just 6 months. I didn't get any until last September. Mine has been very cyclical.

I feel sorry for patients needing cancer treatment who have been told it will be delayed or suddenly stopped/not offered at all.
Pages: 1 [2]