Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Corona Store Cupboard...  (Read 2765 times)

Kmorris

Corona Store Cupboard...
« on: March 24, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »

Ladies, if this topic is surplus please remove it....I will not be offended.

Beginning to have a bit of a panic now....trying to think what groceries I will need and how to make everything last as long as possible.
This is probably a case of closing the stable door after the horse has well and truly legged it.... ::)
But....does  anyone have any good ideas for stretching out meals or what are good store cupboard essentials?

Any good recipe ideas?
Managed to get a supermarket delivery but it's not until the 9 th April.

Keep trying to think what they did in the war  :-\ .....

I have a few tins of soup stocked up and some dumpling mix for emergency rations....but hoping it won't come to that.

Hurdity

Re: Corona Store Cupboard...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 02:15:30 PM »

Hi Kmorris

I hope you won't go short!

Always good to have plenty of dried and tinned stuff - a packet of lentils, rice, and pasta go a long way. Some dried herbs. Tins of tomatoes, tinned fish eg tuna. Long-life milk. Oats for porridge or flapjacks.. If you have space in your freezer then some fresh meat to freeze, and buy some frozen veg too in case fresh veg is sporadic. Dried fruit eg sultanas, apricots etc? Nuts?

It also depends where you live as to how much you can get. I visited local supermarket in small market town in SW England yesterday and there was enough of everything apart from almost no fresh meat, bread, eggs or flour ( has everyone discovered baking belatedly?).  Bought a couple of loaves to freeze, we have an egg farm on way to town, and have plenty of meat in freezer. Still some oat milk etc. Also no peppers nor pickled cucumbers  ::). ????!!!!

if you have a whole-food shop nearby they have more than the supermarkte eg flour and dried stuff?

There is a recipe thread in this section already (it's a pinned post at the top) so maybe members could add to that and jari has a vegan recipe thread if that floats your boat, but even if not, cooking the odd vegan meal will be great if you are running low on meat, and fish etc.

Good luck!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:20:27 PM »

I haven't smelt anyone baking locally but the shelves are free of yeast, flour etc..  ::)

Buy what you like.  Once stocked with 'enough', buy a tin every time you go out as long as you have storage space.  Tinned foods are best B4 years ahead ;-)

What might you actually be short of today that you will require tomorrow?

Two hoots

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »

Pasta, tinned tomatoes, tomato pur?e and onions, you can make a very simple sauce that could last a few days, if you can get mince all the better add that or instead of pasta use rice add peppers and chilli powder make a simple chilli sauce.

It's what I instructed my DS when he went to uni and he did ok but he did also get the Dominos number on speed dial  :)

Kmorris

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »

Thank you, ladies.
I have taken notes .....I naively didn't think it would come to this!
I do have a little put by which will keep me going, the veg shop in the village is still open and seems to be ok for stock... it did have some eggs in this morning, too.
My village is usually busy...always plenty going on.....but it's very quiet now...when I looked down towards the centre it looked eerie....even on a Sunday morning it's never this empty and still.
Very disconcerting.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »

A friend makes her menus for the week ahead and buys appropriately. I've never been that organised  ::). Nowt wrong with tinned fruits and veg..  Batch cooking if you have the patience and storage space.  Start a list of what you like to eat and how you can vary each meal.

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »

Had a small panic about a week ago when a lot of the shelves in the supermarket were empty.  Bought 2 tins of corned beef (not bought that for years) and some tinned potatoes.  Thought we could have corned beef hash.  If we don't get to use them I can always donate them to the food bank.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:12 PM »

NOT corned beef  ......

We went to our village shop earlier and stocked up on root veg, bananas and salad.  OK for a week now.  DH stir fried it.

Two hoots

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 07:22:10 PM »

I love corned beef, and I hardly eat meat

:love:

Kmorris

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 07:37:45 PM »

Corned beef cut into chunks fried with some microwave rice and a few good shakes of curry powder.
Delish  :)

Two hoots

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 07:49:54 PM »

Corned beef hash, I fry onions and saut? potatoes add corned beef and some sweet paprika  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 08:11:18 PM »

:sick02:  noooooo

DH loves it.  I can't even have an undone tin in the house  :-X

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 08:31:35 PM »

Corned beef hash the easy way - 2 tins corned beef, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, 2 tins baked beans, no need to cook the next day either. Predictive text thought 2 tons, that's a bit too much even for me  :)

Two hoots

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 09:56:13 PM »

Baked beans ... In corned beef hash ... Never  :barf:

Barnacle

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 10:50:46 PM »

I'm not keen on corned beef, reminds me too much of cat food, but my DH loves it. He takes it in rolls when he goes fishing.
Pages: [1] 2