Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Trying again!  (Read 676 times)

hotmama

Trying again!
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »

Anyone on Progynova patches? My GP has prescribed this without a consultation. No Estradot patches to be had and I've been on them for five years. Can I expect to react to the change as am very sensitive. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hurdity

Re: Trying again!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 08:06:55 PM »

Hi hot mama - what are you trying again? HRT or is it the patches you're asking about?

Progynova are not very widely prescribed. I don't know of anyone on here using them although there might be now with the shortages? My only comment would be that they are once a week patches in contrast to Estradot which are twice weekly change. However if they have missed this and prescribed you the amount expect for twice weekly then you're on a winner and you will have twcie as many as you need and can at least change them slightly more often if they begin to come unstuck! I have changed patches twice since Estradot became unobtainable in my area and I've got on fine.

Good luck!

Hurdity x

hotmama

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thanks so much for replying, I'm very grateful. I was beginning to lose faith in MM but of course, as you say, it may be that no one is using them.
I have been on Estradot patches for five years and it is only recently that I have started to feel really well, in fact the most well I've felt for about 20 years! I put this down to not starting HRT until I was 65 and so very depleted in oestrogen. I have always been on Estradot  and have fine-tuned the dose to 62 and a half mcg, twice a week. Which means I cut a 50mcg patch into four. Sounds strange but it works! Needless to say I'm very nervous about change and even went out to Tenerife last year to buy Estradot. Without discussion with my GP, because I can't get Estradot my script has been changed to Progynova which is a once a week patch. Needless to say I'm very nervous but after reading your post saying you have changed twice will no ill effects I feel a bit better. My crashing migraines have almost ceased now and I'm really nervous they will come back with changing the variety of patch. Am also wondering why Progynova is not widely used? Any ideas? Once again, thank you very much for replying.x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »

Hi again - have just come on here for a breather so saw your post! I used to do exactly as you do with the 62.5 mcg - making it from 50 mcg. When I asked my doc for 25 and 37.5 patches she said it would be cheaper and easier to prescribe 75 which I cut down - so this is what I do. I now have Elleste Solo like I said but as these are 80 I have to cut a bit more off but I'm keeping the cut pieces and will start to use them to eke out supplies!

I've no idea why some patches are prescribed more than others - you would think the company would stop selling them if no-one used them. I am sure you will be able to tweak the amount you cut off if you start to notice a difference!

I'm mid 60's too! Oh I think you're 70!!  Do you have to use a progestogen?

Don't lose faith in MM - there are far few visitors right now for obvious reasons. We're all busy trying to adjust our lives and also probably where possible enjoying the sunshine after all the rain we've had for months!

All the best :)

Hurdity x

hotmama

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »

Thanks again, Hurdity, and yes, like you my GP thought it would be better to give me 75mcg which I tried but somehow I didn't feel quite right. It might have been more difficult to get the exact amount so on my request she put me back on the 50mcg throwing in an extra pack so I could cut one in four and this has been working great. I shall do the same with the Progynova and wait and see. However, that won't be for a little while as I have a few months left of Estradot. Yes, I am 70 and no, I don't need progesterone as had appendiceal cancer just over three years ago and had to have a pelvic clearance including a hysterectomy. Did me a favour really as only need oestrogen.
Yes, you?re right about MM and I shouldn't be so impatient! Have been a member for many years and found it extremely helpful. It would be great to hear from anyone on Progynova. Keep well in these strange times.x